2 more to the collection! Atlas MB4000 and this thing!

The Green Atlas is in ok shape other than a few booger welds. Its Missing the Tecumseh 4HP and the two speed jack shaft but thats ok.
It has a old school mag on the back. Any Idea what that is from?

It has the 5.30 4.50 6 tires on it still. The Front forks have a "Colt" Emblem on it and the springs actually feel free. The forks Were Chrome from the factory and it was so thin it was just a bunch of surface rust when I Got it. Its not bent at all and its still pretty solid.
5hp briggs runs pretty good but needs a carb kit.

Im pretty sure the black one is a Sears mini I think. I Took it because I Wanted the Great running 5hp briggs that was on it. But Then I Saw what they did to it to get the Briggs into it and I Just had to have it!!! LOL!!!

I May break out the bender and remake this bend just for the hell of it!! Its Stout too. Its made from 1" solid steel bar. :) They couldnt bend the Bar worth a crap but the weld held!. I Rode it around in my yard at a clip and its fine! LOL!!!
Front forks have been modified so I Need to either find a set or bend the entire upper length of the bars out of new material.
The white briggs a super strong runner! It had bad gas in it and a bad carb gasket but it ran good after fresh gas and tightening down the Carb bolts.

I Got both for $100. Make sure to look at the bottom pic!!
Heres pics.

And the KICKER!!!

Last edited:
Cool find. :thumbsup: I'd make the Sears right again and not do any goofy bends. If the sear is anything like mine (can't tell in that pic) It's a very fun cruiser!

The Atlas is cool and uses the same seat as my little 2500.

Thanks Man.

I May just do that. I Have a nice OHV Tecumseh that would fit in there I think if I Replace the bar. I May get it running for now though and ride it as is! It looks just like the sears bikes on jays site and ks8balls and yours.

The Rest of the main frame is in great shape One very well built frame for sure..

As for the Atlas I may just Restify it in as is form. I Love Atlas bikes they are so damn simple and just seem to last forever. And since my First Mini was a Atlas I Tend to be drawn to them.

This makes 39 and 40 for me. I Really need more space! :)

Last edited:
I really like the Atlas bikes as well. Do you know when they were made?

And what is with people bending bars on sears bikes? :doah: Mine was bent on the top right side for a big engine, I took the 8HP out and put in a Tec and a two speed clutch set up , I'll get a stock 4HP tec in it soon and bend or replace the "bend" then paint,,,, and get the cool funky seat that oldman has on his stocker. :thumbsup:

The thing is fun to ride! :thumbsup:

The Atlas Bikes were made here in St Louis On natural bridge road. I have went by the old building a few times but I Always forget to take a picture on it. It may not even be there anymore since that's all industrial companies now.
Atlas mad a bunch of tillers and snow-blowers in the 60's and 70's and into the 80's.

One of the Guys at my shop was a aircraft mechanic in the 60's and 70's and Atlas was a fabrication shop early on specializing in tubing bending and made light weight air frames of some sort for the aircraft industry here in St Louis. His Company bought fabricated parts from Atlas for years even after they got out of aircraft fabrication. They sent parts there to be repaired and have parts made off of old schematics and he remembers seeing Minis being made and some play Karts as well when he dropped stuff off.

The story as he told it was When the Aircraft business got slow in the mid 60's they started making minibikes and the snow-blowers and such. And then that ended up being their core business until the 80's when they got bought out by Ariens *I think*. The minis stopped being made in the mid 70's.

All the old school Atlas minis like we have are all pre 1971. Your mb2500 I am sure is pre 1970. The later bikes from the 70's where the springer front ends and collapsible chrome handlebars and wacky colors but used the old style frames. They Only made the mb2500 for a few years with the pegs behind the engine like you have so to me it is a great find. And even though they state Tecumseh in all the ads I have seen they did come with Briggs engines depending on availability The mb2500 my friend Kurt had a 3 hp Briggs on it stock and he bought it from the original owner.

I still need to find one of the later Atlas bikes but I have only found a few that were hashed beyond repair.

My Sears has a swing arm exactly like yours but has a unsprung front end.

Yours is Bitchin!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info on the Atlas, I noticed when sandblasing it the almost all the flat metal pieces are numbered and I have the plate for the engine mount and will rivit back on when finished. Maybe I'll put some wings on the engine too. :thumbsup:

kbs8ball

my front end is rigid too...I like the pivoting motor mount, thats one hell of an idea...I beat the snot out of that bike and it takes it pretty well.

I think I Ingested some sand Sandblasting these two yesterday. LOL!!

Anyone know what brand of rear wheel is on that Atlas in the above pics?

I just noticed the Kill switch on the atlas is from a gm trunk release electrical taped to the laeft handle bar! LOL! No Im not keeping it :)

I Need to find some new shocks for sure for the Sears. One is froze solid.

Dennis, have you researched the Sears bikes much?? I have one with a H50,
2 speed and sprung forks, even the backward looking tank. It has a scrub brake,but also has a hand operated band brake on the jackshaft. The other one I have has the rigid forks. The whole jackshaft assembly has been removed. I was just wondering if the rigid forked ones had both brakes.I'd like to know what to look for when I start searching for the parts for it.

Yeah Sorry man. I just saw the post.

I Donno alot about them. Im sure going to have to pick some brains though when I start on it.

Thankfully this one doesnt look too bad.

No problem. I installed the service pack 3 update and it crashed my computer. I had to restore it back to factory specs. Lost all my pics, etc. But I may be able to get some of them back. As soon as I get all of my photo software reloaded, I'll post some pics of specific points on the unmolested one in my photos. It is a little rusty from weather, but has never had any kind of mods done to it.