2 piece Lil Indian

When Michrina's bought the company back (1973-74ish), one of the brothers (don't remember which one) started making the "MiniMate" mini bike and that's what started the later style frames. They were powered by a Clinton engine and used a clutch brake, they had straight forks and the foot pegs were welded on. In 1975/76 the Lil Indian "SkyHawk" adopted the same style frame although it had a Tecumseh engine with clutch brake, the forks bent forward like the later models and the foot pegs folded like the later models as well. I don't know what colors were available, I have only seen one and it was dark green, I'm not sure if it was original paint either. My early 80's small frame has the brake on the rear wheel so my guess would be it's a 70's "SkyHawk" frame or someone cut the brake tab off a later frame. If it says "Genuine Lil Indian" on the motor plate, it was made in 1999 or later.

Yeah, it's strange, there's a bushing/sleeve that goes in the steer tube that keeps the upper and lower halves from shifting on the fork bolt. If I'm not mistaken, the MiniMate was a 2 piece design but had a single piece steer tube that was welded to the upper and lower halves thus making it so it couldn't be separated. I believe they came up with the 2 piece idea for logistics, it's easier to fit more disassembled 2 piece frames in a warehouse than it is to have welded ones that take up a lot of room.

I got one stashed away. Weird design. You pull the fork bolt off to separate the front halves of the frame. View attachment 272329 View attachment 272330
I believe yours would be a 1999 or later and should say "Genuine Lil Indian" on the engine plate. Notice how your engine plate bends down at the front and rear, the earlier 2 piece frames had a flat engine plate. There's a bushing/sleeve that goes in the steer tube, don't lose or forget it, unless you're into that sketchy deathtrap feel, lol.

Why's the springer in the back?, it should be the most comfortable to ride of the bunch. I saw a small frame two piece springer on FBMP the other day, guy pulled the Tecumseh out for a Predator, I hate when that happens, not only that, it had the gas tank plate too :(.
Actually that 4th bike is a NOS frame that never had a motor mounted. I bought the correct motor and its just sitting in the frame. I had to get that special mounting bracket for the gas tank. Not ready to ride.