2 Ruttman Grasshoppers

Hi all, just wanted to update you on the Ruttmans. I got a kick out of reading the post from several of the members here..especially those that were watching it on ebay, and the one from Cheezy where he said he was going to bid, then withdraw, and the other person that said he got a chuckle watching no bids. Well, the two generated a fair amount of attention on ebay. I had a number of emails from people interested in just one, or if I would be willing to part them out. With that said, I sold one for $300, and it just shipped out this morning. I gave the guy a $50 break on the price since he was paying shipping. So thanks to the ones on here that sent me messages telling me what I had and what they are worth. Now I have one left. Since I more than tripled my investment with the sale, Im trying to decide whether to sell this one, or just take it down and sell the parts from it. Again, thanks for those that were honest and helped out, and to those who sat around hoping to see me take a bath on these...well, keep wishing.:laugh:

Wow, you gotta work pretty hard to get a rise out of Minibikin... :lol:
Just sick of the new seller only guys that you have to be nice too or they wont come back:rolleyes: you cant win. If you give them info they are just fishing to sell. If you don't you're a jerk. I realize this guy stated from the get go that he was looking to sell. It's his business ethics that i question. :sly:

Minibikin, you question my business ethics? What a laugh! I was upfront from the get go on these items. Im not a collector, nor plan to be. I was attempting to get info on what I had...period. And I made that clear. So my business ethics are corrupt, but its ok for a couple of you guys to tell me its not worth that, to consider going on ebay and bidding, then retracting it. You're too funny! And watching the few people on here hoping I would lose my tail off on this is icing on the cake. Maybe you need to check your ethics.:thumbsup:

Buckeye, thanks for the offer. I have yet to decide what Im going to do with it. While some of the members were chuckling about me getting no bids on ebay, I had a number of people email me wanting parts. Enough people that I could sell every part off it and make twice as much as selling it in one piece. If you want, feel free to message me an offer. Thanks.

Minibikin, you question my business ethics? What a laugh! I was upfront from the get go on these items. Im not a collector, nor plan to be. I was attempting to get info on what I had...period. And I made that clear. So my business ethics are corrupt, but its ok for a couple of you guys to tell me its not worth that, to consider going on ebay and bidding, then retracting it. You're too funny! And watching the few people on here hoping I would lose my tail off on this is icing on the cake. Maybe you need to check your ethics.:thumbsup:
They are worth what someone will pay. I would have paid $500 for the pair had you not accepted an offer and then declined it after "someone" told you they were worth more . Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. I believe i stated that you were only here to sell. :confused: Good luck with the other one...

Buckeye, no problem. If you want it, I'll let it go for $300. I would rather sell it to someone that wants to restore it, which is what I did with the other, but if someone thinks $300 is too high, I understand. I'll just part it out. If anyone is needing parts, feel free to make an offer on what you need.

You guys got his all wrong!

I just want to say I’m disappointed on how OldMiniBikes welcomes potential members. Yes, It’s not cool to ask “ What’s my bike worth” for many reasons. However, negative remarks to potential new members is uncool. We all know that is not how you grow a community.
I spoke to Don! He shared several emails from OldMiniBikes members shortly after his first listing on Ebay. All of them were emails saying “you don’t know what you have! Your bikes are worth much more than the list price”! Along with a few telling him he was crazy!

I believe he wanted to do research based on OldMiniBikes members remarks and then relist and that’s why he ended the auction.

I will tell you that after he researched OldMiniBikes he relisted. And from the link below you will see he listed for same price. This proves he wasn’t out for more money or backing out of original deals.

During the second listing I emailed Don asking if he would sell just one bike. He informed me he was going to let the auction run. I watch the second listing for a full week. When no one bid I contacted him again asking the same question. After I worked out a deal with him I noticed this thread. I then apologized to him for the way OldMiniBikes responded.
He then told me he was going to keep the other bike and custom it. He wanted me to promise him I would contact him when I started my restore so he could follow my process. All because he didn’t feel comfortable asking questions to members on OldMiniBikes anymore. Sad! That isn’t the way we build the community.
Well $225.00 plus 100.00 for shipping I received three large packages all packaged perfectly with the complete bike. He claims he made money on the deal! I also feel I got a deal. Yes, the bike is rusted but the rust is a thin layer that protected the chrome. Almost like Arizona type rust. I call it peppered. So everything will clean up perfectly. Not to mention he gave me the parts to make it complete!

There is only one thing Don did wrong in this whole process. And I totally believe it’s the reason the twin bikes didn’t sell in the second listing. He listed the bikes in the wrong category! Check the link.

2 Ruttman Grasshopper Mini Choppers | eBay

If he would have listed these bikes under the correct category I think he would have sold both bikes within an hour. So since he claims he made money on the deal I don’t feel bad telling him how I was able to score one of these bikes at a reasonable price.
For those that question whether this bike is truly Ruttman? I posted a pic of the serial number.

The restore Kid was correct! This is a very early Grashopper. Which was called Ruttman Ugly’s chopper. Which was part of the Ugly’s line of bikes. See last picture for same style bars and neck.

As for the bike It will be put on the back burner until Winter hits.

Thanks for reading my long post and I welcome Don back to the forum anytime!
PAPSTISY

Last edited: