2014 Baja Warrior

nightgrider

So for the sake of ease and to speed up the build on the luggage racks. I decided I'm going to forgo notching tubes, got some 3/4" wide, 1/8" thick flat bar coming. I still want to practice welding around a tube, but I just kind of want to get the racks rolling. It will make the racks a bit heavier, but still should look nice if I take my time and make sure everything is square. Planning to focus on the rear rack since it is the most functional/practical.

nightgrider

My flat bar came today. So I figured I better get to cutting. Right now the rack's about 15.5" x 18" I'm trying to decide if I like those dimensions. But that's about what is was shooting for on the size. I'll notch another piece of 7/8" tubing to run down the middle for a structural spine to support the flat bar in the middle to prevent flex. Now I have to decide on the spacing of the flat bar. Right now I'm thinking an inch in-between each flat bar, but I'll have to lay it out and see how it all falls.

Attachments

nightgrider

Thanks, yeah that flat bar is going to make it Heavy, with a capital H. I can't take credit for the bends. These pieces were pre-bent. I may switch back to notching tube. We'll see. Just was getting lazy. Haha nothing is even tacked yet the world is my oyster at this point.

nightgrider

Did a little CAD (cardboard aided design) mock up. Looks like about 2" spacing between the flat bar will look really nice. @sparkwizard the whole 72" piece of flat bar weights about 2 lbs. I'll end up using most of it. The other tubing is around 2 lbs, there will be some other tabs and the two support tubes. Which I haven't cut yet. Probably in the end it will be around 5-6 lbs all together. That's not too bad.

Attachments