20hp twin yard kart

Hi, just sharing my latest project.

I took a vertical shaft 19.5hp briggs twin and put an oil sump and dippers in it.
It has a vm32 off a snowmobile with an electric fuel pump.
Working electric start. I built the frame from scratch, I originally had a 5hp briggs on it.
With a 5 to 1 gear ratio and 15in tires it does 45mph at 5k.

With no brakes or suspension, live axle, single beam frame, and lawnmower/ hardware store parts.
This kart requires respect or you will get hurt. Not for the faint of heart.
In the grass hitting the gas lights up the tires , then you do sideways, at any speed.
It can drift pavement but I rolled it last time, so I try not to do that anymore.

I want to 13in skinny tires to offset the high gear ratio , and help it spin on pavement better.

Anyway enjoy.

Attachments

Last edited:
Damn near 20 HP, No brakes and no roll bar... Holy shit! Take it from someone who's broken their neck on a toy doing stupid stuff... get some binders installed and some Melon protection going on that thing...with that said... I'll bet it's addicting to ride!

Wow! That is one hellova motor on that kart. This challenges carsandcameras' Black Widow! I'm interested in exactly how you converted that engine to a horizontal shaft. I have a Tecumseh 13HP and soon a Briggs 20HP V-Twin that I want to convert.

Wow! That is one hellova motor on that kart. This challenges carsandcameras' Black Widow! I'm interested in exactly how you converted that engine to a horizontal shaft. I have a Tecumseh 13HP and soon a Briggs 20HP V-Twin that I want to convert.
Its easy for the opposed twin, as the horizontal and vertical have the same block (almost).

Bolt on part #393559 oil sump, and # 691733 oil dippers (two required). Throw away the governor and oil slinger. Then get creative with carbs and exhaust!
I would like to race cars in cameras but im in ohio :(

Damn near 20 HP, No brakes and no roll bar... Holy shit! Take it from someone who's broken their neck on a toy doing stupid stuff... get some binders installed and some Melon protection going on that thing...with that said... I'll bet it's addicting to ride!
It is very addicting to ride, I wear a helmet when pushing it. I do ride it 10/10. I dont have belts so I can bail if it rolls. Homemade hydro e-brake is in the works for it.

Last edited: