337cc? Confused about engine sizes

Bikerscum

Doesn't that brand come with shaft mounted rocker arms?
I saw a video online that said they do, but mine doesn't. It has the odd pushrods that aren't round tubes. I don't think it's a GX340 clone either.... it has the small mounting bolt pattern, and 3/4" shaft. Isn't a 340 a "big block"?

Starting to think it's a 196 with a 337 sticker on it. This weekend I'll have the head off & can measure the bore & stroke. From what I can measure with the depth end of a dial caliper thru the spark plug hole, the stroke is 57-58 mm.

Thanks all for your help.

rmm727

gx 200 bore and stroke is 68 x 54
gx340 is 88 x 64

now a gx270 is 78 x 58

specs came from Honda's website.

Ya, it does look like a 196cc. Hmm....

Bikerscum

gx 200 bore and stroke is 68 x 54
gx340 is 88 x 64

now a gx270 is 78 x 58

specs came from Honda's website.

Ya, it does look like a 196cc. Hmm....
Yep, 196 it is.... 68 X 54. I can probably assume at this point it's not a Champion either given the valve train.

Any guesses as to manufacturer?

Thanks again all.

rmm727

I take it that the valve cover didn't say CPE instead of OHV? The CPE valve cover is taller to clear the shaft mounted rockers.

Bikerscum

I take it that the valve cover didn't say CPE instead of OHV? The CPE valve cover is taller to clear the shaft mounted rockers.
Yep... OHV.

I have to say that I don't think the seller was trying to screw anyone, just passing along what he was told when he got it. He was sold a bill of goods.

Also interesting that if you Google the part number, it comes back as a Champion Generator. Maybe Champion was putting 337 stickers on it's 196 generators? Wouldn't a 337 engine shroud be bigger & not fit a 196? I know the recoil starters are different, and my Predator 212 unit fits right on this one.

Bright side it it looks clean, nice cross hatch still on the walls, looks to have barely been run.