5 HP Briggs Governer Trouble

Hello i'm building a minibike, and i have a Briggs&Stratton 5 HP "Flat-Head" Engine, Model: 130202, and when i twist the throttle on my minibike the motor only revs to a certain point, but that certain point is were the clutch needs to engage.

has anyone had the problem were the centrifugal clutch won't engage? the clutch is brand new, never used, and it's a Comet.

i'm thinking it has to be something with the goverener spring, the governer is still on it, and i'm going to keep it on it.

Thank You, if you can help me.

Is the engine new or does it have some time on it?
If its new look for a throttle stop screw.
If its old check for compression, spark, and clean the gas tank and carb.

Since you only have 3 posts i assume your new to this so just ask any questions.

the engine is fine, it was used. but it idle's fine. just got new points and other parts. the throttle is working fine. it's just the engine is not spinning at enough RPM'S for the centrifugal clutch to engage.

could i posistion the govorner spring in a nother place?

Motra

The governor adjustment on those is by bending the "tang" that the governor spring attaches to. If you look between the engine and the gas tank mount on the lower back side of the engine you'll see the spring between the governor arm and the rotating throttle control. In the full throttle position the spring will be vertical to the engine and the adjustment tang will be on the bottom of the spring (look at this with the engine not running so you can easily see everything). Final adjustment is made with the engine running at full engine speed, by bending the tang down (tightening the spring) you increase the RPM, by bending the tang up (loosening or releaving spring tension) you decrease engine RPM. Engine should be set to run at 3600 to 4000 RPM with a tachometer.