5 hp vs 11

just lookin for some input. i have a 5hp industrial plus motor and an 11 hp industrial plus motor, is it wrong to think i can build the 5 horse to more than 11 hp with the large ammount of racing parts available? or should i use the 11 hp motor stock :shrug:?

The 5HP Briggs can put out way more than 11HP, it just costs money. they do fit a lot easier than an 11HP motor at any rate. Make sure your not using some old rusty frame to put it on though.:thumbsup:

thanx roccosbike , thats kinda the way i was leaning after hearing the 11 horse fire up today for the first time , didn't sound as Mean as my other 5 horse. the frame will be a modified azusa frame PROJECT HOLESHOT is its current name:eek:

Oldsalt

There is no replacement for displacement. Other wise the NASCAR officials would not really care if a guy's engine was 10 c.i. over the rule.

I like big blocks, which your 11 HP is. They are very wide and to get them centered in the frame it will be necessary to incorporate a jackshaft. Often the stock frame has to be a lot taller to get it in. With the wide engine is often necessary to stretch the frame so that there is room in front of the engine for some sort of foot pegs. Those are some of the issues that I have had to confront when putting a big block in the area that was intended for a 5 HP Briggs. There is also the clutch issue; 3/4 inch clutches are cheap...but big blocks seldom have a 3/4 shaft. By the way, unless you really like spending a lot of time and money to make a temperamental 'small block' perform like a big block, the big motor is the way to go even with the extra frame building issues IMO.

After having big blocks I will never be able to go back to a small block.engine mods work with percentages,if a mod adds a 10% increase 0n a 5hp engine think how much it would add to an 11hp engine.yep,same mod twice the HP gain.

just like Oldsalt said There is no replacement for displacement!

Yeah, if you want ground pounding thundering torque, bigger is always better..

Although the 5 horse weighs a fraction of what a tractor engine does, and will launch just as hard when you crank it up to 4 grand before the clutch hooks up, not to mention wheel speed will be about three times as high..

joshua. c.

i like modding 5s better. mine takes off so fast it'll buck u off the seat if your not carfull. 11 hp is hevy and racing parts for it are rare and expensive. have u ever had to push a bike home after running out of gas? or after a breakdoun? not fun with a hevy 11hp in the frame. moving it around and taking it places will be so mutch harder with the 11. save the 11 for a go kart and mod the 5. it can have more than enough power to satisfy you.