5HP Briggs with 2 speed gear box??

delray

long has you didn't pay to much for them? still worth getting good style pto side cover,bolt on torque converter..etc............:thumbsup:

yup those gear boxes are single speed 6:1 ratio. if you take all the sprocket and brake stuff of it will likely be a straight 3/4 crank. I sold an entire setup complete with splined crank and sidecover for like 30$ im not sure if youll be able to use that sidecover they do look special with that cork seal and all. and a new owner would probrobly want it with the rest of the setup. I may have a crank for you but i dont know about a sidecover ill have to look

yep like Rocco said... I will take these blocks and drill an oiling hole in the bearing surface on the flywheel side up through the oil channel (top) into the inside of the block for better lubrication and then the same can be done on the pto cover or swap it for a bushing or bearing cover...
Any Pics of this mod? I'm new to all this but always more than willing to learn.
I was really hoping to finally find an I/C motor so I could start a good build and not spend money on a motor that wasn't really as strong or durable. I will find one, just gonna take some time I guess.

I got this motor on a trade for some stereo stuff I had laying around that I wasn't gonna use, so I don't think I did bad.

delray

jeep2003 , i believe you just have to pop out the cork seal and replace it with a crank shaft style seal. if a person just mic it out or bought it with you to a place that sells bearings and seals they could set you up.....:thumbsup:

yup those gear boxes are single speed 6:1 ratio. if you take all the sprocket and brake stuff of it will likely be a straight 3/4 crank. I sold an entire setup complete with splined crank and sidecover for like 30$ im not sure if youll be able to use that sidecover they do look special with that cork seal and all. and a new owner would probrobly want it with the rest of the setup. I may have a crank for you but i dont know about a sidecover ill have to look
I knew i needed a different crank but I also need a side cover now too?

The cork seal came off the side cover, it stayed stuck to the gear reduction box. It looks like it is just a cork O-ring that sealed the gear reduction case housing to the side cover so that the gear oil in the reduction box didn't leak where the teo pieces mated together.

Hemi, Take the crank out of that motor and post a pic of it.Measure the crank from the timing gear out and let us know dimensions to the end of the race.I have some 5HP briggs cranks put away that might work for you as I'm sure other members do too.That engine will be good to go in no time.

Was outside messing with this motor tonight, was going to pull the head off to check the differences with another head. I rolled the motor over with the plug out ans it was still hard to roll it over which kind of puzzled me at first. Pulled the shroud off of the motor and it looks pretty clean under it.

Looks to have a new coil on the motor and whomever installed it didn't gap the coild and flywheel, just let the coil drop until touching and tightened it down. It was dragging on the flywheel pretty hard, so I loosened the coil and and it rolled over just fine then. As I was rolling the motor over I heard a "Whistling" sound coming from the splined shaft, got to looking and there is a small holw at the bottom of the shaft that vents the crank case. Guess this shoots the using this side cover with a different crank.

delray

you guys got me lost.....:shrug: can't you just mic the pto cover and crankshaft and then match it up with seal. how hard is that:shrug: am i missing something here???????
wouldn't surprise me if a tecumseh seal would work......:laugh:

Last edited:

danc9

Over size seal.

Briggs has a seal for that. Oil Seal, Briggs & Stratton 495307

(PTO Cover side)

ID:1.004 "
OD:1.625 "
Height:0.184 "[FONT=&quot]

If some Briggs sage would chime in...............

DAN

[/FONT]