5hp Briggs won't rev out?

CTD

Hey folks, new guy Fred here.

Unfortunately, my problem concerns a go-kart rather than a minibike, but hopefully you'll still be able to help. This is a single-seat, "fun kart" type go-kart with 5" wheels, centrifugal clutch, and rear axle band brake. The engine is Briggs & Stratton 5 HP, Model number 130202, Type 3200 01.

Anyway, I've been fixing this baby up and replaced the old metal fuel tank that was rusted inside with a non-rusted example. While I was at it, I thoroughly cleaned the carb and installed a new air filter. I think I re-attached the linkage properly.

Afterwords I started the motor and adjusted the idle after it warmed up. Everything seemed to be great. But when I floored the pedal (with the rear wheels off the ground) the engine topped out at relatively low RPMs. I mean, it runs great through the RPM range, it just doesn't have as much range as it should. I checked the linkage and it sure looks to me like everything is correct.

Could the govenor be faulty? And if so, could that prevent the motor from winding out more? I'm not talking about "over" revving the engine by removing the govenor, I mean that the motor isn't revving out like it should even with the govenor.

For example, I lowered the kart to the ground and then got in myself. I weigh 185 lbs (I know, too big). And the kart was positioned in grass that was maybe 3-4" tall. I pushed the throttle pedal all the way down and the kart started moving, but not real fast. I drove maybe 15 yards before attempting to turn around. The turn (still in the grass) was more than the motor could handle. It didn't die, but it wouldn't move the kart either. I had to get off and manually turn the thing around. Then, with a slight upgrade on the return trip, the kart just wouldn't go without some assistance (turning the non-drive wheel by hand).

I know I'm too big for this little kart, but I also know a 5 HP Briggs should be capable of hauling my lard ass through 4" high grass without too much trouble. The clutch appears to be working fine. The engine just isn't getting up to efficient RPMs. No smoke, no unusual engine noise, and the throttle cable looks to be pulling the full range. The motor really seems good... it just won't rev out. Any ideas?

Fred B.

bandit 40

Hey folks, new guy Fred here.

Unfortunately, my problem concerns a go-kart rather than a minibike, but hopefully you'll still be able to help. This is a single-seat, "fun kart" type go-kart with 5" wheels, centrifugal clutch, and rear axle band brake. The engine is Briggs & Stratton 5 HP, Model number 130202, Type 3200 01.

Anyway, I've been fixing this baby up and replaced the old metal fuel tank that was rusted inside with a non-rusted example. While I was at it, I thoroughly cleaned the carb and installed a new air filter. I think I re-attached the linkage properly.

Afterwords I started the motor and adjusted the idle after it warmed up. Everything seemed to be great. But when I floored the pedal (with the rear wheels off the ground) the engine topped out at relatively low RPMs. I mean, it runs great through the RPM range, it just doesn't have as much range as it should. I checked the linkage and it sure looks to me like everything is correct.

Could the govenor be faulty? And if so, could that prevent the motor from winding out more? I'm not talking about "over" revving the engine by removing the govenor, I mean that the motor isn't revving out like it should even with the govenor.

For example, I lowered the kart to the ground and then got in myself. I weigh 185 lbs (I know, too big). And the kart was positioned in grass that was maybe 3-4" tall. I pushed the throttle pedal all the way down and the kart started moving, but not real fast. I drove maybe 15 yards before attempting to turn around. The turn (still in the grass) was more than the motor could handle. It didn't die, but it wouldn't move the kart either. I had to get off and manually turn the thing around. Then, with a slight upgrade on the return trip, the kart just wouldn't go without some assistance (turning the non-drive wheel by hand).

I know I'm too big for this little kart, but I also know a 5 HP Briggs should be capable of hauling my lard ass through 4" high grass without too much trouble. The clutch appears to be working fine. The engine just isn't getting up to efficient RPMs. No smoke, no unusual engine noise, and the throttle cable looks to be pulling the full range. The motor really seems good... it just won't rev out. Any ideas?

Fred B.
If the governor is still in play, its a possibility that like you stated before maybe your linkage is not hooked up properly , Try holding the gov. out once and carefully start it and give her a little rap open and see if she responds, and then maybe think about removing it, as long as you dont hold her wide open for along period of time it will be ok:thumbsup:

CTD

If the governor is still in play, its a possibility that like you stated before maybe your linkage is not hooked up properly , Try holding the gov. out once and carefully start it and give her a little rap open and see if she responds, and then maybe think about removing it, as long as you dont hold her wide open for along period of time it will be ok:thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll try that. I noticed when I was re-attaching the linkage that the govenor lever appears to have zero restistance (in either direction), is this normal?

Fred B.

CTD

Thanks, I'll try that. I noticed when I was re-attaching the linkage that the govenor lever appears to have zero restistance (in either direction), is this normal?

Fred B.

Good news! I just got the kart out, started it, and then depressed the govenor lever by hand... the motor winds out fine like it's suposed to! So apparently I just have the linkage hooked up a wee bit wrong. Not sure exactly where it's wrong, and I don't have time right now to investigate, but I now know it's just a matter of hooking something up properly. Thanks fellas!

Fred B.

bandit 40

Good news! I just got the kart out, started it, and then depressed the govenor lever by hand... the motor winds out fine like it's suposed to! So apparently I just have the linkage hooked up a wee bit wrong. Not sure exactly where it's wrong, and I don't have time right now to investigate, but I now know it's just a matter of hooking something up properly. Thanks fellas!

Fred B.
Glad to hear that you figured it out :smile:, its always good to take a picture of something like that, before hand that you can refer back to, just in case. take care .........Mark:smile::smile: