5hp w/ reverse

Engine was seized when I got it, but I wanted it for parts. Cylinder already had transmission fluid and head gasket looks brand new. Someone was going to try and free this motor. Cylinder is scared so I don't know that I'll try to salvage the jug unless someone has an idea what the reverse shaft off the cam could be used for.

hmm.. never seen one of those before.. kinda smart actually.. I wonder if you could use a setup like that in a kart for reverse, you could have a lever that engages a belt to the axle, I'd think that would put some excessive wear on the cam but it's like you'd be going in reverse all the time.

pretty neat. :thumbsup:

I always wanted to get a cogged timing style belt and mill off the stock gears in favor of an externelly adjustable set of timing gears. Similar to a modern OHC engine, or a jessel belt drive for a small block

hmm.. never seen one of those before.. kinda smart actually.. I wonder if you could use a setup like that in a kart for reverse, you could have a lever that engages a belt to the axle, I'd think that would put some excessive wear on the cam but it's like you'd be going in reverse all the time.

pretty neat. :thumbsup:
I always cut mine off, just as it exits the side cover oil seal. The clutch hides it. Of course it just takes a cam and side cover swap to make it all go away.

No reason you couldn't make a reverse out of it. It spins at half speed. It would be difficult to fit the rest of the drive system (clutch, chain) with another pully off of the cam, and associated belt. But you could definitely get reverse out of it if you resolved the clearance issues.

have a belt go frome it to a belt clutch on a jack shaft, and have 2 sprokets:shrug: figure out a way to stop one clutch and not the other:shrug:

run a belt to a small jackshaft that goes to the second sprocket like 5horse said, and make an engagement lever for the engine to jackshaft belt with an idler pulley.. you could have the regular drive set up that way as well so you don't have issues with both drives going at the same time. or use that new fancy manual clutch as your drive and the belt setup for the reverse.. thats what I would do.:shrug:

WrenchDad

Mine was on a rototiller. main drive pulley was two sizes larger in front for the drive and a smaller one for reverse both set up with tention pulleys. Lever had two tention pulleys set up on a " T " that pivoted at the botom , the tention was provided by springs attached to the " T ". when you pushed forward the rod pulled one tention pulley against the outside left of the main drive beltand left the belt on reverse slack When you pulled back on the lever the the reverse tention pulley was pushed against the out side right of the reverse drive belt leaving the main drive belt slack. It worked pretty good You could design some thing like that. It was an old Toro front tine Rototiller if you you could find a picture on line maybe you could see how it was set up.

haven't seen one on a snowblower (we don't have them in nc) but on tillers they are used for reverse. It will run at half speed from the crank also it will run in the opposite direction from the crank