6.5hp B&S intek w/ press wash? straight or tappered shaft?

g3bill

Found this 6.5hp intek to purchase but has the pressure pump still attached. Anyone know if its more likely to be a straight shaft. Think a couple models were tappered. guy said its a 206cc 121400 ?

Last edited:
steal it cheap :thumbsup: and mine was a non tapered shaft.
ps,i paid 35 for mine and the guy kept the cart it was mounted on.
might try that on your guy..itll also let you see if the motor spins freely too once the washers off the motor...

Last edited:

g3bill

steal it cheap :thumbsup: and mine was a non tapered shaft.
ps,i paid 35 for mine and the guy kept the cart it was mounted on.
might try that on your guy..itll also let you see if the motor spins freely too once the washers off the motor...
He wants $50 in ad for motor alone with bad pump only attached? Was thinking to offer $40 if its ok, maybe $35 if looks ratty? Guess i'll start at $35 anyway, cant hurt;-) Thanks...

PS. Thing is theres no way to feel compression by pulling the cord, Right? Think i'll take some gas along.

Last edited:
you can feel compression, pull the cord slowly. you can pull the plug and put your thumb over it while u turn it too but the only way to truly check is with a gauge. :thumbsup:

and 6.5 intek is a great motor, just dont keep the oil breather tube connected to the intake and bypass the gov for great fun. i know everyone says they will come apart if you take the gov off, but my intek took a beating like it was nothing, maxed it out quite often drifting a flat kart in my yard. adjust the valves to spec and if nothing else is wrong it will do you good. i do believe it has a plastic cam, and the lobes can wear down but i always kept good oil in mine and never lost any power (gps verified till i sold it)

g3bill

Thanks guys, picked it up tonight. I offered $35 and said no, i'l take $45 and i said how about $40, he said no but took $42 and the $2 i had was a two dallar bill LOL. Ran it and stared on second or third pull after putting 12oz of gas i took along. It sounded good running but WHAT! Plastic CAM :shrug: What happened to metal, the gas tank is plastic so cant really leave it outside uncovered like the oldies. Next question, what kind of oil is uded with a plastic motor, do i need synthetic oil? :laugh:

No point to removing the vent tube, better to have vent air filtered than get dirt in the crankcase? or you using a more tricky design with fancy remote breather filter?

Only issue i noticed; The pull start takes more rope than normal, wont hook up right away?

??? Mod no. 120412 0143-E1 is this a base motor or sleeved barrel and roller bearings,?

Last edited:
theres not a vent in the top of the cap so you can leave it outside altho you really should put anything inside you can. someone probably either put too much rope in it or didnt wind it up enough

no point in removing the vent tube? how about not having an oil soaked air filter? yes i had a "fancy" remote breather. it was a long hose going to a gatorade bottle strapped to the frame. the short hose on the vent going to the air filter will suck crap into your filter, not suck dirt into engine. remember the vent isnt always sucking, the piston is moving up and down so the vent is sucking and blowing and as far as i can tell blows more than it sucks lol.

yes the cam i believe is a nylon or something. regular oil is fine, kart oil is always better (no anti foaming agents) the animal (racing version of this motor) has a metal cam if you want to upgrade, but i never had a problem with mine and i beat the crap out of it

DO NOT leave the gas feed on. it WILL drain gas into the oil.

g3bill

Thanks JK

You noticed:thumbsup: thanks for the tip turning off the gas, just did...
""gatorade bottle strapped to the frame"" Very nice Fancy breather;-) I wasn't thinking these motors have paper filters, (now i understand why the PO said they changed the air filter not long before storing it). I do like foam types though as its usually very dusty where i plan on using the motor, probably not as good as paper.

Just checked the air filter and near new conditon plus no oil, not even a drip or fogging where the breather connects or on filter. The PO did say he figures its got no more than 200 hours on it. I noticed the governor is intact and working properly;-) . I tried pulling the rope again and comes out about 8" before grabbing and feels wound properly, might be i'm just not used to the newer things in life:shrug:

Oil looks like it could be changed but not bad. I noticed theres a white oil cap up high, the two unscrewing tabs are broken and no dip stick? shouldn't there be a long plastic probe to check oil level? This motor has 3 oil caps, never seen that before?

Think I got a good one this time. ;-) , Bill

Last edited:
Every Intek I bought that came from a water pump use was straight shaft. Some are shorter then normal but thats not really a problem to fix. I have 25 Briggs Inteks all that I got off Ebay in various conditions and everyone is fixed and running. Just got another block in yesterday that will be rebuilt as I have enough parts to do that. Motor number 26 will be here today, a 5.5 hp. I got it off ebay too for less then $60. So buy it and fix it up and enjoy.

I have that model motor. Just go on ebay and get the stock Briggs Animal cam. I see ones on there all the time for $20. The stock one still has the compression release. PS check ebay 151374118219.

Last edited:
i didnt see any stock animal cams for sale when i had mine but like i said, i never had any problems. i wouldnt worry about it till it became one IF it becomes one. i ran wide open ungov stock carb and stock muffler on long tube header. ran great :) looking at another right now on a broke pressure washer too!

i actually ran another hose from the top of the gatorade bottle back to the breather, so it was a true oil seperator. i went thru 2 filters before i decided to do something. i guess if you had a foam filter only it wouldnt be as bad but i like the seperator. i used the twist mouth top tall gatorade bottle with the mouthpiece ripped off which gives it a nice solid nipple for a hose, and just drilled hole beside it and ran the vent tube down into the bottom of it. worked well, except my drifting often ripped it off haha :thumbsup:

Very nice breather u made, just like a custom one for a VW.

I searched and for my model; 120412 0143 E1 it does have a cylinder liner but no ball bearings on crank which is ok. The shop thought it was a 3/4" shaft and straight unlike generator type thats tappered. Also mine is a 2002 year, not that it matters.:thumbsup:........:scooter:

ps. If my filter starts to get oil soaked I'm going to steal your idea ;-)

Last edited:
Well motor #26 arrived and took it apart for inspection. Was listed as low compression. I'll say, ring gap was 5 times max allowed. It too was off a pressure washer. 3/4 inch straight shaft.

Last edited:
Very nice breather u made, just like a custom one for a VW.

ps. If my filter starts to get oil soaked I'm going to steal your idea ;-)

it wont "start" to soak it just WILL. wont be an in between thing. you should steal my idea before it happens or you will need a new filter. not that it cost alot, just will save you money

Well motor #26 arrived and took it apart for inspection. Was listed as low compression. I'll say, ring gap was 5 times max allowed. It too was of a pressure washer. 3/4 inch straight shaft.
That sucks, guess i got lucky or who knows when mine gets up to operating temp might be another story? Gotta change the oil and air filter often but some people learn too late?
The 6.5hp b&S not going to be used much, its for a water pump or log splitter, oil change and ready to mount.

Best mini i have is a TACO 99, w/10hp WestBend, will put ya on your ass :scooter:....:thumbsup:

JK, was looking where to mount a remote breather on the motor and the two bolts holding the gas tank over shaft look like a good choice, just need to make a bracket to hold the container.

Last edited: