60's Cheeftah

Bought it for $80 in very rough shape. It had a newer 5hp Tecumseh with electric start! I had to rebuild the carb but later sold that engine for $150. It didn't go with the bike. The seat is leather and appears to be original so I painted the frame and engine to match the seat rather than replace it. I put on an older Briggs that I rebuilt and finished out with a vintage decal kit. And before some of you catch it, no, it's not a 5hp, it's a 3.5hp. The decal kit I had was 5hp and I wasn't going to spring for another decal kit. Anyway, it runs great and looks better than I thought it would. I have a long straight pipe I am going to put on in place of the muffler. It's very fast, I can't image the maniac that rode this thing with a 5hp on it.

nice bike real classy with that color scheme. My buddy has a cheeftah just like that. It had an anemic 2.5hp on it he wanted it to be able to move his 8 year old so i put a warn out briggs 5 on it. It was still alot of motor but hes still alive I think :laugh: bumpy as hell to ride through fields with 4" wheels and no suspension though :eek:ut:

HA! Yeah, it's a rough ride on the street, I can't image in a field. I would love to go up to at least a 5" wheel, the sprocket is nearly as big as the rear wheel, have to be mindful of that when turning on that side. The engine mount and scrub brake limit the tire size.

It's funny, I thought that was the ugliest color seat I had ever seen. I never thought I'd find a paint to match. The off white goes with the piping around the seat and it really turned out well. Thanks guys!