68 Rupp frame help?

I have a 1968 Rupp XL-350 that the frame has been broken. Someone tried to fix it and made it worse. If I decide to sell this one I know I will have to fix the frame to get anything out if it. And if I decide to keep I will have to fix as well.
So anyway,,,, does anyone have a picture dead on from the side. I need to know if the top frame tube is parallel to the ground??
Or if you have a bike you can tell me what yours looks like. I think this will be the easiest to way to restore the geometry.
Thanks for any help.

I could be wrong......but looks to me like somebody purposely laid back the forks on that bike to make it handle better or something......:shrug:

Yeh, no difference in the way the 68 and 69 frames are, except for the engine mounting plate(s). The neck does look laid back, someone wanted a "chopper".

Deesel, is theat 69 toad yours ? any interest in parting it out ?

Thank for the input and Gumpit that is the shot I need. It looks to me the top frame rail is parallel to the ground.
There has been no geometry changed on the forks, only where the frame is welded to the forks. It has been broken and a crap weld job.
Thanks again for the help.

Yes, most likely someone hacked the front end then rewelded it with more rake, as was posted earlier.. THAT OR it broke, and they didn't pay attention when fixing it..

Although breaking one of these frames right there is about impossible.. Someone did it on purpose.. :doah:

The frame rails are pretty well level to each other and the world.. But I think that part is alright.. You just need to chop the steering neck out and reweld it back like it belongs.. Nice bike.. :thumbsup:

XL350 is a good guess.. They actually had the chrome tank, not a painted one.. But everything about it looks right for an XL350..

Rupp never made a Toad..

It is a 1968 xl350 and not a c-350 because of headlight and brakelight plus front disc brakes. Plus the xl350 had detachable handlebars where the c-350 are straight forks. The xl350 had a lighted coil 3.5 hp Tecumseh motor and the c-350 had a plain 3.5 hp Tecumseh motor. The xl350 had a chrome tank and the c-350 tank came painted frame color. Here is some pictures of a c350 and xl350.

Looks like someone cut the lower half of the upper brace on the upper tubes and cut the lower free bent the handlebars back toward the seat and added to the lower brace to give it the rake it has now.

Last edited:
No! All 1968 models had disc brakes in one configuration or another. The 1968 xl350, xl500 both had front disc along with the tt500! By just looking at your bike if the wheels are the originals and in there original placement your 1968 tt500 is more like a xl350 or xl500 depending on what the original engine was in it. The xl350 would have had 3.5 light coil Tecumseh motor where the xl500 would have had a lighted coil H50 Tecumseh with a single speed clutch unlike the 2 speed the tt550 had with a lighted coil H50 Tecumseh.

Last edited:
Was the 68 TT500 the only TT500 to have front discs?.... The one I have was so rusty and pitted it wasnt worth restoring... It is just a sandblasted,pitted,rattle canned painted roller now. I'm not a Rupp guy. And far from a purist anyway.(lol...ask Buckeye)... I think the rims are the only thing that are possibly worth cleaning up...

Yes! The 1969 model roadster which was the same model but had drum brake setup in front and rear. They are very good riders.

Last edited: