'69 Rokon Trail Breaker

A couple of weeks ago I came across an older Rokon. It's a '69, missing the engine, clutch, trans and tank. The gearboxes and drive shaft are still there though. After checking the prices on putting it back to original, I recovered from the sticker shock, and decided to do a Honda clone conversion on it. I bought a pair of Baja 90cc dirt bikes as engie donors.
As soon as I get the mechanical repairs done on a Honda ST90 (also acquired from the same guy as the others), I'll begin the transplant. Once I get it mechanically sound and reliable, then plan will be to shred it and give it a proper paint restoration.
Wish me luck. I'll be sad about chopping up an original frame for a transplant, but the price of the parts needed to restore the Rokon far outstrip the value of a finished bike. It's just not practical to save it. thankfully they aren't rare, or I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

OldMiniBikes.jpg

Attachments

Sprocket86

Was one of the biggest expense to find a correct US820 2 stroke engine?

Always thought these bikes were super cool and I've chatted with Mr. Filman himself.

I'm sure having one of these show up on TV in the show "PAWN STARS" doesn't do any favors for prices.

Engines are around $500.00. Same for the trans. Clutches are $400.00 range. Add a Tillotsen carb, intake and exhaust and you're out of sight even before you buy controls, tires, bearings and paint.
Joe

Sprocket86

Engines are around $500.00. Same for the trans. Clutches are $400.00 range. Add a Tillotsen carb, intake and exhaust and you're out of sight even before you buy controls, tires, bearings and paint.
Joe
This has been the reason I've never done up an US820 build, by the time everything is said and done correctly your spending some major $$.

But they're one of a kind 2 cycle engines that are straight outta the hey day but with modern day manufacturing techniques and CDI ignition.

One day I'll own one of these killer power plants.

I kinda hate to say it, but it would be great if an offshore manufacture would "clone" a version of the US820 Power Bee 2 cycle engine.

I bought a early Rokon Trail Breaker MacIII form a shop and it was there demo machine and worked just great being short I needed to sit lower so I installed a cobra style motorcycle seat it worked for me. I repainted it to Blue my favorite color. The US820 engine was also used for jumping jack compactors. I worked with them in the rental yard business so I didn't have problems with keeping it running. The Rokon sure drew a lot of attention, I even won a few bets when I was able to climb big hills with it.
I sold that machine for $600.00 and that was stupid of me but that was long ago like 1984 .