69 Rupp Roadster wheel spacers

My apologies if this has been covered before, but my search results are far too broad.

Rebuilding a Roadster with my son. Every single part that came off during disassembly is present and accounted for.
I have two wheel spacers/tubes, but I think I see a total of 4 in the fuzzy print copy I have of the exploded view of the bike.

My questions: How many spacers are there on the '69 Roadster, not including the one inside the rim between the bearings?
When the rear axle nuts is tightened down enough to keep from sliding back, what keeps the wheel bearing from being "pinched"? Does the shoulder on the bolt prevent overtightening and the wheel/brake assembly "float"?

Is there a high-res exploded view of the bike out there?

capguncowboy

I think it had a spacer on each side of the front wheel, and just one on the rear wheel (non-brake side), and another between the wheel and the brake

1969 Rupp Minibike Part # Catalog

They also have the chain tensioner washers on the outside of the swingarm. Those are important for wheel alignment. If you don't have them, I suggest picking up a set.

Last edited:
That's a nice clear diagram. The spacers labeled #22 / 22A appear to be the ones that go in between the bearings to keep them from being "pinched" when you tighten the axle.

When I fit new Astro wheels to my Fimco last week, my pal cut spacers on his lathe, using the stock material from OldMiniBikes. In that case, each wheel got three spacers - one on each side and one in the middle. The last photo shows the rear wheel spacers liked up on the axle, w/room for the two bearings. Minimal tightening force is imparted to the moving elements of the bearings.

Much better diagram than the one I have!

What sparked the OP was when I wanted to do a mock-up of the current stage of the project for a picture.
I bolted the front wheel on with two spacers, then realized I had none for the rear. It took a minute before I remembered the brake assembly would act somewhat as a spacer.
It still didn't seem right "in my head" so I started looking at the diagram to see if there were additional parts.

I got this bike in 1981 or so and rode it very little before it got "stored" for 30+ years.
It's possible it had been taken apart before I got it and reassembled without all the parts (that's why I mentioned I have all pieces that came off during the recent disassembly).

'Not a fan of exploded diagrams; I think I'm going to re-sketch the layout of the wheel assemblies and make sure I'm NOT missing anything (since it sure seems like I am). I still have to clean up the brake drums and un-seize one of the brake shoe pivots, so i'm not quite ready to bolt it all together and see if it works (the reason I'm doing this mostly "on paper" at the moment).
I DO have those tabbed washers for the rear axle :)

Tom - your pal looks a little like my brother (his specialty is racing engines)!

BERT_zpscpql4ovb.jpg

2393street_glow_solara-med.JPG

Last edited: