69 Rupp Sprint original paint

That looks sweet.. What did you do with your rims to make them look like that?
I took them apart and scrubbed the aluminum turbine center piece with wd-40 using a tooth brush. I cleaned the chrome rim and the acorn nuts with that super fine steel wool, something like. 0000 or whatever the finest grade they had was at Home Depot. After the chrome was clean I went over it with regular old chrome polish, I think it is called #7 or something like that. I wanted everything to look factory finish, so I did not polish the aluminum turbine center piece. I just wiped it off with a rag after I got all the grime loose with the tooth brush. Usually I would leave a survivor like this in "as found" condition, but I could tell that this one would clean up nice and couldn't resist giving it a good clean up.:rockon:

I have had a few pm's asking me where I got the bike from. I bought the sprint and a digger from the sister and brother that got them new for Christmas. The motor was out of the digger for a rebuild, but most of the parts were there. Here they are the day I bought them. You can see both the clutch chain guards laying on the ground between the two bikes.

agree on the No.7...for some reason I always thought it was made by Dupont....

if you rub the chrome with steel wool doesn't the rust come back right away.....doesn't it leave fine scratches??

Seems to me when we were kids and we used Brillo on our Schwinns it would look great and then the rust would come back even worse....:doah:

Hey Gerry,

Never use a "Brillo Pad" it is too course and will damage the chrome and scratch the finish beyond repair. Only use #0000 steelwool it is very fine like babys hair and will not scratch the chrome. Also after you are done you seal the surface with a good chrome cleaner / polish like NO.7. It will look good as new and will be protected for about a year if what ever was cleaned and polished is used outside.

old-timer

Scamming Member
A good coat of good ol fashion past wax will also help seal it up and help stop the rust from returning . This after the above steps have been done. And yes, the #7 chrome polish is still one of the best out there in my opinion. It is getting harder to find, but some auto parts stores still carry it.

KK, The #7 I used to use was made by Dupont :shrug: I think I still have a old can of it kicking around out in my shed somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Vic

A good coat of good ol fashion past wax will also help seal it up and help stop the rust from returning . This after the above steps have been done. And yes, the #7 chrome polish is still one of the best out there in my opinion. It is getting harder to find, but some auto parts stores still carry it.

KK, The #7 I used to use was made by Dupont :shrug: I think I still have a old can of it kicking around out in my shed somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Vic
I think it was made by Dupont, I remember it in the metal cans too. The brand must have been sold off:shrug:
Good thing they didn't change the formula, it still works the best.

if you rub the chrome with steel wool doesn't the rust come back right away.....doesn't it leave fine scratches??

Seems to me when we were kids and we used Brillo on our Schwinns it would look great and then the rust would come back even worse....:doah:
It looks like you were right about it being made by Dupont. I just found this.