71 Honda CT70 Transmission

I just purchased a 1971 Honda CT70 (Trail 70) and within 5 minutes of checking things over I got it running! (Its probably been sitting for 20 years) Anyway, It will not drive. I tried to shift gears and I no matter how hard I push the lever back and forth I cannot get it into gear. Can old engine oil make the gears sludgy or make the clutch not work?

I have a 70 that I will yank apart for any parts ya need. I am swapping it out for a 110 that was given to me, so, I will pay it forward and send ya whatever I have in mine that ya need.

I have a 70 that I will yank apart for any parts ya need. I am swapping it out for a 110 that was given to me, so, I will pay it forward and send ya whatever I have in mine that ya need.
Did the engine have anything wrong with it? If not, I may be interested in purchasing the whole engine to have extra parts that I may need.

Is it an auto or manual?

Mine is manual trans.

Old oil and sitting a long time will make the clutch plates stick together and are hard to get to release and engage again sometimes . I would warm it up out of gear with new oil change [not old oil] and then push start it and ride it in low gear around a large parking lot or field and rock it up and down with the throttle and use the clutch lever alot to get it to work again . It may take several times of doing this but I have done this with several Honda motorcycles and have had great results and have not had to replace the clutch plates and have found it doesnt hurt the assembly the true Honda motors are the toughest ones out there .

Did the engine have anything wrong with it? If not, I may be interested in purchasing the whole engine to have extra parts that I may need.

Is it an auto or manual?

Mine is manual trans.
(minibikedude pointed out, in a later post below, the H model was built for three years: 1970, 1971, and 1972. I misinformed with the text in red. Sorry.)

You have a CT70H 4-speed (the H indicates manual transmission) which is rare, only manufactured in 1970. Dealers titled when bikes sold, which can make it appear on paper as a 1971 model.

The common CT70 has a 3-speed with automatic clutch (the clutch actuates when the gear lever is pressed). While many of your engine parts are the same, quite a few are different.

Last edited:

Is it an auto or manual?

Mine is manual trans.
3 speed I think, manual trans I will go and see if it has a clutch lever on it. and I guess its ok, I have never heard it run, its not froze up, I got it a couple months ago.
this motor I have is on an early 70's atc70. I know the bikes are different but the motors look the same and it may have what you need in parts if any at all. just tossing it out there, if its an appropriate donor or not I dunno. I just saw they looked the same and offered it.

Last edited:
You have a CT70H 4-speed (the H indicates manual transmission) which is rare, only manufactured in 1970. Dealers titled when bikes sold, which can make it appear on paper as a 1971 model.

The common CT70 has a 3-speed with automatic clutch (the clutch actuates when the gear lever is pressed). While many of your engine parts are the same, quite a few are different.
Four speeds ct70H were made for 3 years 1970, 71, 72. 1972 four speeds had the newer front forks,seperate headlight and speedo.

Sounds to me the clutch cover needs to come off and clean and or replace clutch disc while cover is off. Also clean oil filter screen while its apart.
Also you need check to shifter linage that is behind clutch and counter gear. I have found them broken from abuse.

Four speeds ct70H were made for 3 years 1970, 71, 72. 1972 four speeds had the newer front forks,seperate headlight and speedo.

Oops! My apologies for the disinformation... I stand corrected. A bit of extra research reveals minibikedude is correct. Got wrong information in a post from someone that appeared to be an authority on these bikes.

1970 CT70H (HKO)

1971 CT70H (HKO)

1972 CT70H (HK1)

From what I can gather and recall, there would be fewer CT70H models and thus the manual clutch H models would be rarer.\

First two-wheeler with a clutch I ever rode was a CT70H.

Jon

Last edited:
Old oil and sitting a long time will make the clutch plates stick together and are hard to get to release and engage again sometimes . I would warm it up out of gear with new oil change [not old oil] and then push start it and ride it in low gear around a large parking lot or field and rock it up and down with the throttle and use the clutch lever alot to get it to work again . It may take several times of doing this but I have done this with several Honda motorcycles and have had great results and have not had to replace the clutch plates and have found it doesnt hurt the assembly the true Honda motors are the toughest ones out there .
I drained the old oil yesterday and put new oil in it. Then I ran the bike for about 7 minutes to get everything flowing, but still no luck with the shifting of gears. It still stays in neutral.

(minibikedude pointed out, in a later post below, the H model was built for three years: 1970, 1971, and 1972. I misinformed with the text in red. Sorry.)

The plate on the frame says CT70H and a date of 3/71.