Verticle shaft

can I use 5hp cylinder heads and are the parts the same
?
and I want a exhaust and intake also need a fancy rod
I want the gov gone

I will also need a choke cable and a throttle cable

???

Davis

Good luck and no parts are interchangeable between a 5hp Briggs to your motor. I’d run it stock as they are plenty of power.

i was gonna take my head off take it to a machine shop and get it milled down a bit

30 to 50 thou should be lots more

dumb question

if I take my gov off

what is the max rpm with a tach I shoudnt go past

also
I found a guy on ebay selling a custom made carb jetting kit seems to think 5 to 10% more hp

I was gonna take my head off take it to a machine shop and get it milled down a bit 30 to 50 thou should be lots more
I have not measured, nor attempted this. It seems like too much, but the way to tell is use clay and see how much squish you have.

if I take my gov off what is the max rpm with a tach I shoudnt go past
Many of these engines ran on bikes with the governor not used. They hold up fine under load. The RPM not to exceed is officially 3600, but in reality, it is the point just before the rod goes out the side of the block.

I found a guy on ebay selling a custom made carb jetting kit seems to think 5 to 10% more hp
The jet on that carburetor is a screw in jet to a machined aluminum base. Please post the information on that carburetor jetting kit, because it doesn't sound right to me, but I've only rebuilt two of these carbs.

Any information you have that is legit is certainly appreciated!:thumbsup:

i was gonna take my head off take it to a machine shop and get it milled down a bit
Provide that Ebay link so we can review. It sounds like BS to me. You have to be real careful with carb jetting or you'll end up worse off than you ran before.
Michael

OK, first off the ad is for a Briggs and Stratton "World Formula" engine. That is not even close to a "flathead." It is a purpose built class racing engine for go karts, and it is OHV.

The add itself lists several components that come with their kit, but most of the components don't even come on a BS WF engine, so I don't know what it is they are selling, other than basic motorcycle jetting kits for three times their value.

So no, this is not it, not by a long shot. A World Formula engine is about $900 USD and up.

there are no billet parts for the model 19 8hp briggs. I have one and was just talking to arc about it and there is not enough interest in modifying this engine for them to make parts. everything has gone to the overhead valve engines so if your going to run one your going to have to run it stock. there is a trick called strapping the rod that will keep the rod from blowing through the case. the old timers that raced these things before billet parts were made used to do this mod to keep the rod from breaking. the took a ujoint strap off a chevy truck hammered it to fit the rod cap but just enough of it was off the cap that when you torqued the cap bolt back down it would pull the steel strap tight against the aluminum rod cap and help hold it there. one of our members did this mod to his kohler 440 and has been beating the crap out of it for a year now drag racing. I believe it works

ill have to look into that
Please do Nate. The rod and wheel are indeed ARC.

I'm not real familiar with Briggs in the first place, so might have my model #'s mixed up. Note there is a similar thread currently on intakes/adapters for Tilly/Mikuni.

I also found this list on another site with P/N's. I desire a "torquey" engine capable of maintaining 3500 to 4000 RPM for a heavy trail bike project.

Last edited: