8hp briggs

what can i do to a 8hp briggs with points to give me more power? I have access to a machinist. i was thinking about milling the head porting the intake and exhaust but is there anything else that i can do to give me more top end power thanks

Oldsalt

what can i do to a 8hp briggs with points to give me more power? I have access to a machinist. i was thinking about milling the head porting the intake and exhaust but is there anything else that i can do to give me more top end power thanks
Mill the head. That's the cheapest way to get additional power from any engine ...especially one that probably has about 7 to 1 compression ratio stock. Probable cost, in as much as you know a guy with a mill?: One head gasket. As 92 octane pump gas will usually be fine in 10 to 1 motors [the anal-retentives say 9.5]. Do the math and go for it.

Even if you don't try modifications that allow the engine to operate at substanually higher RPM your motor will be a lot stronger. Added compression will give you more Wheaties from idle to redline.