8hp Tec with a 3/4" shaft??

jeep4me

I took an 8hp Tec off from a John Deere snowblower yesterday and found that it has a 3/4" shaft (well, a 1" shaft turned down to 3/4"). I've never seen this before.

I will most likely put the engine on my cheeftah. I put it in the frame and it just fits. I'll have to drill some new mounting holes and realign the rear spocket, but I think it will work.

Hey Jeep:

Was that tec engine called a sno king by any chance?If so what kind of a carb would you use since the sno kings weren't made to have an air cleaner.The reason I'm asking this question is I just boosted my brother in laws 10Hp sno king to use on my El Burro.

Del Fuegos

jeep4me

Hey Jeep:

Was that tec engine called a sno king by any chance?
Del Fuegos
The engine doesn't really have any "Tecumseh" names one it because it was manufactured for John Deere. So basically it just has the John Deere emblem on it. Looks like a Snow King though.

As far as the air breather is concerned, I'll be using an older style oval air breather. I just have to find the cover for it. I hope I didn't sell it by mistake.:doah:

When it comes to air breathers, where there's a will...there's a way!!

jeep4me

Del, your engine looks just like mine. You should have no problem hooking up an air filter to that. And if you run that Burro in the winter, which I would HIGHLY suggest, take the air cleaner off and put the cover back on. That's what I do with my El Burro in the winter months.

Hey Jeep:
Thanks for the quick reply. Those engines could almost pass for twins only mine doesn't have an air fliter and the 3/4 output shaft isn't tapped I guess I'll take it to the local machine shop and let them tap it for me.
Thanks
Del Fuegos

That's a Tecumseh HM80. It'll work great. Lot's of torque. The HM80/100 is the same block that the Tecumseh Star racing engine was based on so HiPo parts are out there.

Here's my HM80 on an Arctic Cat.

Its Its Alive

Hi All:

Just got my Hm100 back from the shop and there wasn't a whole lot of damage.The mechanic told me that for being out in the elements for a few years with no TLC its in really good shape yesssss!!!!!!!!! Sorry Jeep I can't send you any parts now - but if want to send me your motors Hp & serial number and a photo of the parts you need I'll see if I can get them for you.

Del Fuegos