a beast of a stock doodle bug

i ungoverned my doodle bug today i had no idea how slow it was until i made it go fast im not getting a new engine till i break the stock one so i figured i might as well have fun until i break it. let me know if you want to know how i did it.

okay if people do this its at their own risk, its hard to explain but there is a governor arm thing on the engine in between the exhaust and the throttle linkage. a spring attaches this to the actual throttle linkage there are three holes in this arm move the spring from the bottom hole to the top, then do something to keep the spring from stretching i used a little bolt and nut but in the morning i will either get some rod or wire and make a solid link or solder the spring. let me know if this is confusing i will try harder if you dont get it.

delray

hayden,is this what you are talking about(spring). you also can replace it with a piece of solid wire and also makesure you use a extra spring return to be safe. engine has very small internal parts. it wont be long before it blows:doah:

:scooter:...................bang:doah:

yea thats the spring, i just hope it wont seize when it goes. it would suck to be going 35-40 mph and have the engine just stop. but i use a good dot approved helmet and im careful

o yea and some times it makes this noise that sounds kind of like a back fire but i think it might me my piston meeting my valves it made it before the mod and it still does only now its lower on the rpm band.

Last edited:
If the engine seizes at speed you would just free wheel.

Ask Me how I know......

More than likely the little Lifan is going to Throw some parts out at you while its trying to lock up. Watch for Shrapnel and hot oil....

i have gone into a 35 mph skid on purpose why do you think im asking about new tires? it would suck to unexpectedly have that happen though.

does any body know where to get a motor cycle stile clutch to replace the normal ones? i want immediate tire spin for cornering and stuff so basically i can keep my rpms up through the turn but have the clutch disengaged then drop it coming out.

Not necessarily - If the engine locks up when it goes, it can lock up the rear wheel and you'd go into a 35 MPH skid. Sounds scary.
Thats Highly Unlikely.

Unless the motor fragments and the crank turns sideways the clutch would disengage like it always does when the motor stops.

Ive had a few lock up at way over 40mph and the rear wheel has never locked up on me. They never blew into a million pieces but they did lock up and ventilate the block. Lots of hot oil and a few pieces of shrapnel got acquainted with my leg and the underneath of Ks8balls custom seat he made me. :)

Im not saying it couldn't lock up but from the simple design of the C-clutch it would be hard to. Although if the motor completely disintegrates and takes the chain out of alignment I can see it happening.

As for your Motorcycle style clutch. I Have never saw such a thing for a Side shaft engine.
You can rig something up like backyard builder did with pulleys and v-belts.
Or put the engine on a rocker plate to disengage the v-belt.

I think if I Wanted to it to run exactly like a motorcycle I would find a motorcycle engine for it.