A couple of questions about the Chikuni-22 Carb

RCB19

I recently purchased a new Chikuni VM-22 and want to check the float height before I install it. Had issues in the past with floats being out of adjustment right out of the box so I want to check that before I install it. Does anybody know the correct specs for the float height on these? and best method to set the height? Cant find any info about it on the net.

Second question when adjusting the Pilot air mixture screw which is located on the bottom of these carbs, is a richer mixture achieved when adjusting the screw "in" and leaner mixture when adjusting the screw "out" like the real Mikuni VM-22? I thought I had read somewhere that some of these Chinese copys air screw adjustment was the opposite.

Thanks RCB

air adjustment is the same. It is an air bleed adjusting the amount of air mixed with the fixed pilot jet. Screw it in shuts down the air hole, screw it out lets more air to mix with fuel from pilot jet. Correct float adjustment is to turn carb upside down and the mold line on the float should be parallel to gasket surface.

Ole on my VM22, that bleed is plumbed directly from atmosphere to the manifold mating surface, to interact with the intake vacuum like a Tilly does for the pump. It looks to me like that is a simple air bleed. On a BS FH, I didn't have that bleed doing anything, as it was blocked off at the intake mount. No problems like that.

I note that inside the bowl, I can see a runner from that screw to the pilot jet seat area.

Should the port for that located on the flange beneath the O ring be left open to atmosphere, or should it be ported into the intake manifold.

RCB19

Thanks for the info Ole. I checked the float level as you described and turns out it was set on the high side right out of the box. Bent the little tab up and leveled it out. Also disassembled the entire card and blew every hole out with compressed air just make sure it was all clean. Ordered some jets Main 120, 125, 130 and Pilot 12.5, 17.5,came with 15. Gonna play with that this weekend.

HV Dave thanks for the info too. Never noticed that hole on the flange till you mentioned it. The way my manifold is configured it is open to the atmosphere as well.

RCB

RCB19

So another question arises. Was checking the jet needle and noticed that there was a small nylon washer placed under the clip which to me essentially raises the needle equivalant to one clip slot without having to actually move the clip. Clip came out of the box placed in the center position washer under it means needle is raised one slot to me. Should I raise the clip one slot with washer under it so needle is height actually in the center or consider it is centered with washer the way it came out of the box? Im guessing that vendor that I bought the carb from installed the washer "Quick band aid fix" so these carbs would run better out of the box and avoid some complaints from the novice. Let me know what you guys think about this. Hope my explanation makes sense.

Thanks RCB

Supposed to be there. Also once cable is installed ther is a flat circular spring with a loop for the cable and needle to hold needle in place.

Last edited:
Thanks Ole. The flat spring clip is in place. As far as the jet needle starting point. Clip on center notch even though nylon washer under it raises the needle a notch?
Thanks RCB