A death trap on 2 wheels(maybe?)

den35

With the failure of putting a DB30 engine on my Arctic Cat bike,I looked around my shop and found,of all things,a 250cc single cylinder 2 stroke Polaris snowmobile engine.

I know it would be a big challenge to put in the frame.Not to mention figuring out a way to put a clutch on it.I haven't measured out anything yet,but from eyeballing,it looks like it would squeeze in.If not,it will fit in my Doodlebug.

But is this too much power for a mini?Is there such thing as too much power?

And,ultimately,is this a just plain bad idea?:eek:ut:

All opinions will be considered and greatly appretiated.(I know,I can't spell worth a hoot)

Last edited:
I think my next build will be a white knuckle bike, but I really believe in stretching out a frame if your going over the top when it comes to horsepower. My guess is that you're going to get the same view as those who fly the space shuttle more times that you care to with that size engine on a DB. Maybe wheelie bars are in order?

Have you given any thought to Bonneville and the land speed record for a mini?
I think you should...ha..ha.

Last edited:
Go for it...but buy a few extra rear tires...and something to get that burnt rubber smell out of your clothes.
Yellowhand,
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I started a project log. I'm doing the MTD first and then will use the pipe bender and create a masterpiece or damage many feet of tubing..ha..ha.
I bought 40' of 7/8 mild steel, so I should get good enough with the bender to make a very small bike with all the "whoops" I'll make on the bends....

3jvj

um......

please you tube the test run ;D

Seriously though; is the motor worth the trouble?

The rest should be easy; bile gearbox & clutches and then weld a gear to the jackshaft. Sounds like a p.i.t.a. with great rewards.

Good idea. My Arctic Cat was supposed to be powered by an Arctic Cat 250cc snowmobile engine. Ran out of time for Windber so I quickly threw the HM80 Tecumseh on there.

Biggest problem you'll have is the clutch. Most snowmoble engines have a very short tapered shaft. The smallest Comet driver that is made to fit is a type 44. Quite a bit bigger than the type 20's & 30's we're used to. You'll have to get a matching driven unit also.

A good source for these items are Polaris ATV's, (Trailboss or Trailblazer) they have a pretty good TC drive. Thats what I'm using on the AC engine. Since your not trying to keep the engine "in brand" with the bike, why not just use a Polaris ATV engine. The Trailboss and Trailblazer both offered a nice 250cc two stroke and the clutching has already been figured out.

I'll have the Arctic Cat ready for the next Windber Reunion, hopefully I'll see you there.

den35

Thanks for the input,guys.

I've decided,after measuring and finding that the 250cc is too big dimensionally for the Arctic cat,I'm going to pull the 5.5hp off the doodlebug and put it on the cat(my wife misses going riding and cash for a brand new engine is tight right now),then use the doodlebug as a project frame.I'm not sure if I'll use the 250,as it will be a lot of fabrication to make it work,but it's not completely out of the question.I'll also be scoping for other 4 strokes to put in it.That's the nice thing about the DB30.You can do darn near anything with it.

Thanks again guys.:thumbsup:

Last edited: