A great eight inch wheel deal

Minimichael

Just ordered these on Alibaba. They'll be here middle of March and that's fine. I'm kinda pinching myself over the price. Thinking I may finally get to use those Michelin S-83s on the shelf! The pic of the silver ones let you get a look at things, but I got the black ones. I'll just need a bike for them next :scooter:

The Alibaba listing is a little low on details. I have these in 10" rims already and can vouch for the quality I received then. The endeavor was more expensive then (early-pandemic) and they came bare without hubs or brakes!

Screenshot_20240120-224451.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

Thanks, Skipp. I think I know the ones you're talking about. So thanks for the warning.

I know I'm taking a leap of faith here, but yeah I hope these have been machined true enough. If I had purchased hub and brake and rims separately the cost would have been near $300 for the pair.

But yes, these are aluminum, so they're easily marred and they'll incur the extra cost of having the scooter shop put the tires on for me.

Last edited:

Minimichael

Yeah I'll do a little review on these.

Now on another Alibaba subject, I'm looking at these rims and hubs (pictured) for my next Arctic Cat frame. A bit like my last build, I'll have a 10" on the rear and a 12" at front. Almost twice the price, but where else can you order a slow boat from China for under $200?
Screenshot_20240120-233635.png

Minimichael

My $58 set of 8" rims including brakes and sprocket from China has arrived. No time for comments yet, just pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

They're cast metal. Not sure what to make of the paint globbed all over the rear wheel, but it only appears inside the rear rim..
The drum brake plate/shuttle feels light and may or may not last long. The rest I think I can work with and just hope they'll turn true.

Minimichael

Full disclaimer/reminder: the shipping and tax added another $50 to the cost, so totalled $110. But they're lightweight and fully outfitted, as it were.

I'll say more about these 8 inchers when I mess with them more. I believe the Michelin S-83s will fit these 8" rims really nicely. They ride like on a cloud on my 10" Arctic cat... They hug the road but you barely notice them they ride so soft - which is why I'm thinking the 8" tires will too. And I want to get back to building up my little rope start Briggs 6S, and hope to build a small putt-putt type rider and these eight inch wheels with big round grippy tires could be perfect for softening the ride.

So I guess I got lucky. The price was too good to pass up, even after shipping doubled it.. the product was packed very well, and got here undamaged. The two complete assemblies get me a lot closer to my next old school little hardtail... ...that I've yet to find and build and finally outfit with those 8" Michelin tires :scooter: !!!

Last edited:

Minimichael

Saying more, the front rim is machined and painted much nicer than the rear, which appears to be a rougher casting and has a more uneven baked on finish. I got my fingers crossed they turn evenly. Look like different manufacturers maybe - but not from several feet away.

The spring action of the brake panel arm is remarkably balanced and fluid. Maybe even flimsy? Nah. It takes effort it's just not clunky (like I'm used to). Or maybe meant for a pit bike. It's fine, tho.

The sprocket is small. I might need a bigger engine.