A Story First Then A Question

Frisco57

In my neighborhood I'm known as the goofy old grey haired guy on his mini bikes (aka "The Circus Bear") I'm also the old guy rolling through the hood with his loud hot rods or race cars...Some of my neighbors are great because they give me stuff that the think I might want or need... Today I was gifted a pressure washer with a said to be "good running" 5-horse Honda engine. My question is, has anyone one used a OHV 5 horse Honda on a mini bike? I'm usually a "fat heads forever" Briggs & Stratton geezer and I need some input. BTW I would bet I could get the pressure washer working as well.

IMG_2804.jpg

So long as its a P washer you should be fine. Generators usually have tapered cranks and aren't compatible with tcs' or centrifugal clutches. Pressure washer pumps have limited hours of use depending on the quality of the unit so if the pump is shot and the engine is good, you gotcha a good mini mill.

Lots of candidates around here, in NJ. Folks forget to winterize that p washer and the water in the pump freezes, expands and cracks the pump. Most time’s it’s the first winter so they’re low hour motors. Should start to see those out at the curb soon, now that it’s spring. Sounds like an interesting thread, if you’d be kind enough to share what you run into along the way. Good luck with yours.

delray

Frisco57, the only 3 down falls on this engine that I have found and this only happens over time (wear and tear) is the rockers can crack and break(steel). the timing belt can also break under wear and tear sometimes too and the cam is made out of plastic.
you might get one person here that will say its a throw away engine. when Tecumseh and briggs started to make engines out of alumunim back in the day. they too where called throw away engines. if anything with just couple mod's to the rockers and a new belt this engine could run very good. I personally think this is the most smoothest engine I have every heard run. this engine does not shake or vibrate at all and just think with the governor on, it still puts out 5hp.
that's more then enough to just put down the road in the neighborhood...:scooter: