Advice for new builders (head tube, welding)

Son has picked up a frame and a few parts for a mini bike. Looking at the frame, it doesn't include a head tube for steering. There's just a strange thing welded to it. We considered mounting the forks to it, but I really didn't feel that was a safe option. The space between the "crossbars" on the forks is 80mm if that's useful at all.

Next thought was to purchase a head tube and have someone weld it, but that was a rabbit hole I got lost in, and didn't understand at all. I have no clue what I need. I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks can help me out.

I'm going to try to attach pictures here that will help to explain what we've got.
Thanks so much in advance!

PXL_20231104_205059398.jpg
PXL_20231104_205146116.jpg

Augiedoggie

Welds on that frame are ugly. Probably better off starting with a better one if possible. Would be a shame to go to the trouble of building a machine around a shaky frame. You can find frame kits online that would give you a better start than that turd pictured

Thanks all! Message is coming through quite clearly! ;-)

He's only in $20 for that "turd", so worth the learning.

How is the reputation of the following site?
Azusa Parts

That should link directly to a decent looking frame.

tomc

Yes! Cut that frame up before taking it to the scrapyard so no one else tries to use it. Those welds are ridiculous.

Azusa Parts

Azusa is generally reliable stuff. Their 2 piece rims are actually used for light aircraft as well. Someone posted a thing not long ago about cleaning up the Azusa rims so they don't wobble. If you build off an Azusa frame, I personally wouldn't build some 50 mph monster. The frames aren't really built for that.

Triley41395

Azusa Parts

As far as I'm concerned, you got a decent bargain for those forks. As for the frame, not so much. Definitely ditch that frame. The one you linked is fine as long as the forks you have will fit. Just so you know it's not cheap getting all of the small things like bolts wheels ect. They are fun though.