alternate engine for alsport sl

thesaff

is there a modern alternate engine to use on the alsport tri sport stree legal, that has same power and rpm that would fit on the frame that may be 4 cycle instead of 2 and is electric start..i have original engines that would need a lot of work and parts to get them running and have no idea who would work on them these days..have 2 sl's that need totally redone so it will be a winter project. new to this site..been reading posts all great keep up the good work

is there a modern alternate engine to use on the alsport tri sport stree legal, that has same power and rpm that would fit on the frame that may be 4 cycle instead of 2 and is electric start..i have original engines that would need a lot of work and parts to get them running and have no idea who would work on them these days..have 2 sl's that need totally redone so it will be a winter project. new to this site..been reading posts all great keep up the good work
Hi thesaff - I'm near wooster Ohio and just started using this site for my Alsport TriSport 130(?) project. Basically for me, I elected to not use the Briggs motor I wanted due to the emount of custom work required to make it fit....it was close but not right. Looks like the Harbor freight 212cc 6.5HP predator is the one that will work for my needs and this week, at least out by me they are on sale for $99.00 Without a coupon.

Not sure if those are the specks your looking for but I hope that helps. Post some pics...I would love to see a SL..mine is a total ground up restore project.

I guess from what I am reading your looking for a cheap way to have some fun. I don't see what's so bad about a two cycle engine you just have to mix some quality oil into your fuel. When I had my Street Legal it was a Kohler 440 CC that I bought brand new in 2003 and had the engine fitted with a new electric starter. I carried some small plastic baby bottles filled with smokeless snow machine oil. If you have all the parts from the original engine if you spent a bit of time looking for a engine repair shop it might prove more effective and easier to do than trying to redo the entire drive train. Surely there are some snowmobile shops nearby.
I did a rebuild to make it more street legal and to maintain freeway speeds. I went to 10 inch rear wheels that were ODOT approved and added more and better rear lights. I sold a couple of the Tri-Sport street legal with the Tecumseh 4 stroke engines and I didn't like their performance compared to the Kohler 340 engine models it was a vibration issue.
I made one big mistake I sold that machine and I regret that a bunch. I will put up some pictures of that trike.

wjustice

The original SL models did come with 14&16hp 4 cycle engines. So the setup shouldn't be too bad. Get the engine mounted for good alignment, probably a 40 series and matching belt. The rest is already there. The 2 strokes were a bit higher HP (290-20, 340-28) and RPM, so top speed won't be the same without mods. But it will work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wjustice

Oops, as to the engines. The older 11hp or current 13 & 22 hp twins from harbor freight could possibly be used. Any like them may work. Make sure you can get converter setups to match the output shafts. Many larger engines are 1" some are even 1.25. The 2 strokes are 25 or 30mm tapered shafts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks Steven for the pics that is an awesome trike, it gives me ideas of good things to come, and the 10 inch rear tires I like that idea alot..i sent you a private message but not sure I did it right.. The bulk of it was asking you if you had any wiring diagrams or owners manuals left from the good oldays. I have the parts list but have no clue on the wiring.. Both sl's that i have are picked clean of the wiring so would love to see drawings on were every thing went. I've read a lot of post on here and no one talks about it.

Last edited:
also, I was just wondering if it was more cost effective to go new versus rebuilding a vintage. and as far as 2 versus 4 stroke it was about the ease of just pumping and going at the gas pump...thanks for your reply's

wjustice

I can look later when I get home but I do have a wiring diagram. I was readily found on the internet a while ago.

oops I found it on my phone. PM me your email I can send it to you