Alternator Wiring 10 HP Tecumseh

Electrical Guru's;

I mounted the brand new 10 HP on the Super Bronc today. I attempted to make some final wire connections and when trying to hood up the alternator, there was a spark and a poof of smoke. OH NO!

I have two wires coming from the engine from the alternator...a red one and a green one. I hooked them up according to the wiring diagram herein attached. Obviously something is not right. The wiring diagram which came with the new engine was different enough as to render it useless for my needs.

Take a look at the wiring diagram. There is a lot on it but really only the alternator, the key switch, and the battery are important for this problem. The master key switch only completes the circuit (when turned on) allowing battery power to be supplied to the entire system. Would the red wire (from the alternator) go to the master key switch and the green wire to engine ground? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

On the diagram, its a little hard to see but, the alternator is on the far left side of the diagram second square from the top. The battery is up slightly to the right, followed by the starter solenoid to the right of that, and finally the on-off master key switch to the right of that.

Last edited:
Still Need Alternator Wiring Help

Well, the good news is that I did not fry anything (that I know of). The engine is still throwing a spark.

I sure could use someones expert help though. I have attached a really simple wiring diagram that I just need help in completing.

My key switch is simply an on/off switch with two terminals. I took a wire from the positive battery post, sent it to the key switch, and then from the key switch to the positive battery bus bar. Nothing will start or run unless the key is turned on. That supplies power from the battery to the entire system.

The alternator has a red and a green wire. The red wire I currently have going to the key switch, which in turn goes to the positive bus bar.

I had the green wire from the alternator going to the negative battery post.

If it is all connected in this manner, I get no spark. If I unhook the green wire from the negative battery post, I get spark.

I just don't know what I should connect the green wire to in order to complete the charging circuit. Any ideas? The diagram shows the alternator not hooked up. Thanks a lot guys.

The green wire is a kill wire maybe! Sound like it is grounding the coil out or it is another positive wire. Time to bus out a volt meter and test both wires for current.

Last edited:
Shewwwwwww the diagram really doesn't help alot.. :laugh:

What EXACTLY does YOUR lighting system look like?? :mellow: There are about three main types... From what you're saying with, it's sorta confusing and on a ten horse.. I am guessing you have like at least three wires coming out of the wiring cluster from under the flywheel...

Now, at the end of the wiring harness, do you have a plastic plug or a big system of fuses and resistors and connecters, all mounted to the back side of the engine??

If it is a plastic plug, what color are all of your wires? :mellow:

Alternator wiring

I believe if a guy thinks about it long enough, it gets figured out. Most engines {like on a snow blower} have one green wire coming from under the flywheel to the throttle lever. Once this throttle lever is closed {lowered to its lowest setting} it grounds the system out thus stopping the snow blower.

Consider the 10 hp tecumseh. It has exactly that. One green wire that, when the throttle is closed, it grounds the system out and stops the engine. I am guessing that NOT ALL 10 hp tecumsehs were equipped with an alternator. Those that are equipped with an alternator still have that green ground wire.

My 10 hp tecumseh has the alternator. It also has a voltage regulator which is under neath the blower housing...this regulator has no exposed wires to hook up to anything. My engine alternator has only TWO wires coming from it that can be hooked up to two terminals. One is red...one is green. The red one on my setup goes to DC + (which is going to my main on/off switch). The green wire goes to magneto ground. I have surmised that this green wire coming from the alternator goes (in my case) to the stop/run switch. It is basically taking the place of the original ground wire which is used to stop the engine without an alternator installation. So in my case, I am not using that one solo green wire which is normally used for grounding.

I believe that is it. I wont really know for super sure until I get motoring on for a while. As you know with the broncs and their torque converters, its hard to see a large difference on charging voltage at low RPMS. You cant really rev up the bronc or she'll take off without its rider!

Thanks Restore Kid for taking the time to read my posts. I will be posting photos on photobucket soon.

PS mine only has a plastic clip type gizmo with the two wires coming from the alternator.

Last edited:
OK I see what you are saying.. If it does indeed have charging coils, a regulator that is all looped into itself only, then a two prong plastic plug, you have it exactly right.. :thumbsup: Green is most ALWAYS your kill/ground wire, and a single red is gonna be positive out. I've seen the one you are talking about, two prong plug, one sits 90 degrees to the other in the plug like a "T" shape.. :mellow:

YUP.. You gotter... :thumbsup: Hopefully the smoke isn't any cause for alarm. :eek:hmy: as it usually IS a good sign of something bad.. You should at least pop the flywheel off and visually inspect the cols and wires. Where there's smoke there's fire.. :mellow: