Any Dodge experts?

WrenchDad

I'm assuming there is a relay for the pump but I cant find one specifically marked as such. All the other fuses are good. I'm leaning toward a bad pump instead of fuse or relay because it didnt go out all at once. It would die out, restart ,drive for a while then die out again then restart run for a minute then die out then wouldnt start at all.

The last fuel pump I put in my Chevy 4x4 did not make any difference after I put it in , still run terrible . The new fuel pump did not come with the short hoses to attach pump to the guage unit and the hoses looked good but was split and pumped 50% of the gas back into the tank not to the engine , that took me a few minutes to figure that one out :laugh: .... well maybe more than a few minutes :laugh:

Quit bitching about mileage. My F250 gets around 6mpg and you can almost watch the fuel gauge drop when you drive.

To the OP, why not ask on a Dodge board? There's a good chance you'd get better advice on one of them.

WrenchDad

Quit bitching about mileage. My F250 gets around 6mpg and you can almost watch the fuel gauge drop when you drive.

To the OP, why not ask on a Dodge board? There's a good chance you'd get better advice on one of them.
I'm not bitching about the milage I mentioned it in the first post because I thought it might be an indication of a problem. I think the advice on this board is just fine, I'm sure a lot of these guys have Dodges. All of these guys have been very helpfull and I value their input and mechanical ability. I'll listen as long as their willing to give it.

WrenchDad

OK, so I tried a Dodge board and and they all think it's the pump also. Hat's off to Cheezy1 they all suggested removing the bed also. I'll be honest I never would of thought that was the easy route. Its been raining here and I dont have a garage So I will tackle this as soon as I can. I was hoping the fuel pump fairy would show up last night----No such luck So at 6:30 this morning in the rain I head to work on the bike. Thanks again for the help guys

OK, so I tried a Dodge board and and they all think it's the pump also. Hat's off to Cheezy1 they all suggested removing the bed also. I'll be honest I never would of thought that was the easy route. Its been raining here and I dont have a garage So I will tackle this as soon as I can. I was hoping the fuel pump fairy would show up last night----No such luck So at 6:30 this morning in the rain I head to work on the bike. Thanks again for the help guys
Common problem with dodge trucks...thats usually how they go, they start up and run, then when they get hot they dont put out enough pressure or volume to keep it running. We have around 20 dodge pickups at work from 97 model year on up and not one of them HASNT had a fuel pump put in it...in fact, many of them have had several over the years Ive worked there. As far as pulling the bed, i do them both ways. If the tank is full, pull the bed. If you have like a 1/3 tank or less, its just as easy to drop it...I can have the tank on the floor in 10 minuits, useing a hoist of course. Sometimes the bed bolts dont want to come loose, then you have issues...and you need to have another set of hands to help you slide it back and then back in place. Its not much of a timesaver sometimes, just depends on the vehicle.

WrenchDad

I just finished this "little " job last night . I started around 4PM and was going to pull the bed, Those bolts were pretty stubborn and I didn t have the conveniance of a garage hoist or extras hands So I tried the tank strap bolts and they came right off so I went that route. I dropped it onto jack stands then unhooked every thing then lowered it with a floor jack (it had about 12 gallons in it) one I got it out I siphoned the gas out put the new pump in got it ready to go back in. ( I had to repair my overflow tube on the neck assembly). Even empty it was a little cummbersome to put back in by myself but I managed. I would agree if you can get the bed off easily thats the way to go. It's more handliing and shuckin and jivin by dropping the tank. All said and done with a couple of trips to the parts store and some unscheduled repairs and by myself,out and back in and running ---7 hours. I'll survive, thanks for all the adivce I appreciate the input.