Any ideas on this one?

Picked this up today. It was well farm engineered before I stripped it down. There are no markings or ID numbers. It looks like the scrub brake was added on at some point, it has an amateur weld job. It had a rope start 5s on it that im sure was not original. Let me know if you'd like to see any other pictures.

Going to have some fun with it no matter what, but I'd like to know what it is.

Attachments

Triley41395

Picked this up today. It was well farm engineered before I stripped it down. There are no markings or ID numbers. It looks like the scrub brake was added on at some point, it has an amateur weld job. It had a rope start 5s on it that im sure was not original. Let me know if you'd like to see any other pictures.

Going to have some fun with it no matter what, but I'd like to know what it is.
Looks like a trailhorse and yes the scrub brake was added

After doing some research, it looks like these came with a 3hp Briggs (or Tecumseh on the later ones?). The motor that was on the bike looks like a 3hp that the blower motor housing was replaced on with a rope start style. The motor will need a complete rebuild, but not sure if it's worth it due to a ton of crank wear and broken head bolt bosses. Briggs motors are cheap in the Milwaukee area.

Question is though, is the 3hp enough on these bikes with the stock gearing or would upgrading to a 5hp be better? I'm not looking to set any land speed records with it, but a little zip would be nice. I have a late 70's 5hp Briggs I put on it, but it seems too wide for the frame. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm new here, so if this isn't the right sub forum to ask questions like this, please direct me to the right area.

After doing some research, it looks like these came with a 3hp Briggs (or Tecumseh on the later ones?). The motor that was on the bike looks like a 3hp that the blower motor housing was replaced on with a rope start style. The motor will need a complete rebuild, but not sure if it's worth it due to a ton of crank wear and broken head bolt bosses. Briggs motors are cheap in the Milwaukee area.

Question is though, is the 3hp enough on these bikes with the stock gearing or would upgrading to a 5hp be better? I'm not looking to set any land speed records with it, but a little zip would be nice. I have a late 70's 5hp Briggs I put on it, but it seems too wide for the frame. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm new here, so if this isn't the right sub forum to ask questions like this, please direct me to the right area.
That could be the original engine to the bike. They were never designed to move an adult, but a small gear change can rectify that. IF you're not looking to go 40mph, I would stick with the Tecumseh. Great find!

markus

its not a wizard version, those had suspension forks If you can spot the original color on it that might be an indicator, but the one with no suspension and mag wheels would be something like a GTO 300X which was available in 1972 with a Tecumseh 3.5hp originally

Harquebus

Technically, this is the "What is it?" forum for that question and that question alone.

You will get more traction and traffic in the Mini Bike Discussion or in the Strictly US Vintage forum. You're doing yourself a major disservice by wrong-posting, basically, in a subforum that is very limited in scope. It's not Rocket Science, just read the forum listings and use that now un-common sense you may (or may not) possess at this point! :D

DaddyJohn

If your engine is worn out, and you’re in the Milwaukee area, I’d start looking at old snow blowers and see if you can’t find one with a Tecumseh 5hp HS50 that you can rob. It’ll look period proper, if not actually “correct”, and will move you around with much more authority.