anyone ever make there own fenders?

None for a mini,but like 125,some 'glass one's for my motorcycle. I just cut some old car tires into 3rd's and waxed the insides,then laid in the fiberglass.When they were cured,just twist the tire a bit to release the glass and pull out your compound curve fender for a little trimming and sanding. If your doing it in cold weather and want them cured faster,I use my old aluminum, truck box [the kind that goes across the bed to put tools etc in ]with a small heater. It will cure glass in an hour on a 30F day.

125ccCrazy

can u give me a quick lesson on how too
a quick lesson?? LOL... Have is if you have ever worked with fiberglass? if not there isn't a quick answer or lesson..

I can tell you I used the old fenders for the mold and moled the new parts from the inside after cleaning the inside of the old fenders and waxing them several times so the fiberglass wouldn't stick..

When I was a kid my dad made fenders for my Lil Indian using garden hose hangers that you nail to the side of your house. Cut off the bracket and you're left with a nice piece of curved sheet metal.

I like this thread its very interesting.

I was thinking you could make a fender plug(mockup of fender) out of wood exactly how you wanted it then heavily fiberglas the outside.
Then using a releasing agent you could fiberglas the actual fender just like the wood plug.
Probably be able to make several before the fiberglas mold gets to weak/distorted.

Might work for other things like a custom chain guard or maybe even some cool side panels.

Mnnnnn I have a fender, I think I can use as a template for fiberglass copies. I have a bunch of resin and cloth, I have some spray foam so if I need to change some dimensions.:shrug: Glad you started this thread, was thinking what I was going to do for fenders, and the answer was right there in front of me.:thumbsup:

gbones

i made 2 out of carbon fiber. they came out pretty good. the 1st fender i made, i cut it to short:doah: and the 2nd fender i made, i didnt drill the mounting holes in the rite spot, so the fender sat forward to much and did not look rite so another:doah: i have pics in my "fenders" album on here if you wanna look.

delray

on one of my bikes that i was building i wanted a fender that fit the radius of the tire with the correct amount of air pressure in it. i purchase two steel fenders for it, knowing that they probable wouldn't fit good and i was right.

so i got the masking tape and measure where i wanted to lay it down and started to cut small release areas and then strape it to the tire with couple pieces of rubber under the fender to give it the correct spacing that i was looking for and then rewelded it back up and then lightly grinded the welds and finish with a hand file and WAL la.

i use only a very lite and small amount coat of body filler in couple spots and the rest of it clean up with body primer filler.

125ccCrazy

the primered fenders are for a Wild Cat 500, the green fenders are on a wild goose, the rear fender had to be wide so I molded two fenders and then cut each one down until they were the right width when I butted them together...I then glassed both halves together to make a wide fender for the slick...

These were all molded from the inside of stock metal fenders..

I also made an MX seat pan for my one bonanza from using an original pan as a buck..

you guys have some nice looking fenders im not really sure about making a fender out of fiberglass but i think i can get one made with metal. but well see

I made mine out of Trailer fenders. Alot of cutting and grinding :grind: but they turned out really nice... I will try to post a couple of pictures...