Anyone have a Round Port HS50?

I've never even seen one, I don't think. I guess the very first HS50's had them when they still used the older style blower housing. I think that would be the give away as to the port.
My question is, I wonder if they had the small exhaust port like a HS40? I've been told the intake port is the same as a HS40 and they shared intakes..
Anyone know? Or have one?

Sure someone aint just pullin your leg

"I SWEAR Dude, it's LOOKS like a briggs 3.5.. But I SWEAR it's a 12 horse Onan"

:laugh:
I think so, but the person that told me is highly respected.. How it came up was, before I found my HS50 intake I needed.......

He tried to sell me a normal HS40 slant intake.... Telling me it would work on my HS50, as soon as I seen it I knew it was the wrong intake. So I told him I needed it for a HS50 with the goofy port and he said his intake will work on the HS50's, just not my HS50 because mine was the newer style????:eek:ut:

So I mentioned to him, that he probably should not sell them as HS50 drop slant intakes because every HS50 I've seen has the odd port.. That pissed him off a little and he claims the original HS50 that Tecumseh used was a round port.
I don't know, I have or have had as many HS50 out here as anybody and they all have (had) the odd port.
But... As soon as I think I know something I'm proved wrong so I asked.

I have a Old NOS HS50 short block from the early 70's still in the box and it still has the goofy intake port. I have a lot of other HS50 and never found one with a Round port.

I looked through all of the HS50 I have- some are newer snow blower engines and a few are genuine vintage minibike motors- all of them have the larger port. One thing I did notice is the early intakes are rounded on the outside by the mounting bolts, and the later ones have a raised double triangle, or almost a sideways diamond cast into them.

delray

markg,
raised double triangle
i believe that would be a snow blower intake

randy i will try to look at some of my 5hp's and see if any are round? if i find something i will post it.......:thumbsup:

delray

randy, i think the only way there could be a HS50 engine with a round intake is that someone would have to come up with a engine that had original ID info on it and the block would have the stock bore/stroke of a HS50 engine to prove there is one...:rolleyes:
a regular style 5hp intake has to match a 5hp block.......:thumbsup:

there is only one bike that i can think of that could prove us wrong. it would a 1973 thunderbolt bike. i believe 1973 would be about the first year 5hp slant engine,,,,,,:shrug:

What was the first year for a HS50. I thought 1970 was from what I've been told, That was why Rupp used the Big block 5hp engine in the 1969 model bikes because there wasn't a small frame Tecumseh in 5hp at that time.

What was the first year for a HS50. I thought 1970 was from what I've been told, That was why Rupp used the Big block 5hp engine in the 1969 model bikes because there wasn't a small frame Tecumseh in 5hp at that time.
interesting observation Watson :detective:

Or how there were no more big blocks after they figured out how to tip the engine over and fck everything all up.. :laugh:

delray

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by minibikedude
What was the first year for a HS50. I thought 1970 was from what I've been told, That was why Rupp used the Big block 5hp engine in the 1969 model bikes because there wasn't a small frame Tecumseh in 5hp at that time

i thought we where talking about slant intakes for HS50 engines. did someone else use a slant intake before 1973.....:shrug:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by minibikedude
What was the first year for a HS50. I thought 1970 was from what I've been told, That was why Rupp used the Big block 5hp engine in the 1969 model bikes because there wasn't a small frame Tecumseh in 5hp at that time

i thought we where talking about slant intakes for HS50 engines. did someone else use a slant intake before 1973.....:shrug:

The earliest 5 horse I have is a '74.. I'm thinking '73 or so, IDK?

Here's the HS50 I just did for my Scrambler. This is a '79 engine. This one has a bearing PTO. I put a HS40 aluminum flywheel on it so I could use the older blower housing. I got a repop intake from bobco, to look at it you would never know it's a 5 horse.

you know a guy could be sneaky and show up at windber and hit the hills all day with that.....:scooter:.........:thumbsup:
It's pretty impressive:thumbsup: The power difference between a H35 and a HS50 is really unbelievable. This was a good indicator of that, with everything else being the same and just changing engines.:scooter:

Slant intake where used in 1971 By Rupp and Speedway I know. I saw somewhere in a old minibike guide, a add for a HS50 at one time I think it was 1970 for the HS50 for minibikes.