Anyone seen a tool like this?

myjunk

I picked up this unusual die today, because I have never seen anything like it. Why would there be 2 dies in the handle? This is a forged piece, not something someone put together. The name is Riley and Russell. From what I have found out about the company they were bought out in 1916 and the name changed. Please enlighten me if you can explain this tool. Thank you

Only thing I can think is that it was to speed production times when two different threads were need. Like on opposite ends of a shaft. Interested if anyone else knows. Pretty cool find

Only thing I can think is that it was to speed production times when two different threads were need. Like on opposite ends of a shaft. Interested if anyone else knows. Pretty cool find
I would agree Dodgeboydan about the production end of it. They were pretty cagey about a lot of things back in the industrial revolution.

I would also agree that is a way cool find, not something that is commonly seen by any means, but shows some of the ingenuity that this country was built on.

Maybe Wiley and Russell, Greenfield, Mass. Someone over at Smokstak forum would know. Two guesses from me, right and left hand thread of the same thread form. Or, two different diameter thread forms for threading a stepped diameter stud or rod.