Arc Welders

try blue demon flux core wire . i got a roll of it and it seems like it does a good job welding most stuff . and its made here in the usa i think , it was like $5 cheaper then the forney import stuff i was running .

I'm not an expert at all,but have had a few hints passed my way regarding wire feed.
If your beads are tall,your feed speed is too fast
splotchy or hard to get flowing,its too slow
try to angle the piece your welding so that its slightly down hill,point the gun uphill,tilt the pieces so that they form a V,instead of an L,and start at the high end,working toward the lower end with small side to side or half moon motions.
If you weld thicker stuff,try to warm it up somehow.
test your heat range on scraps of what you are gonna weld to check for penetration,too much,too little or just right.
little 110 migs will do a lot.

I'm not an expert at all,but have had a few hints passed my way regarding wire feed.
If your beads are tall,your feed speed is too fast
splotchy or hard to get flowing,its too slow
try to angle the piece your welding so that its slightly down hill,point the gun uphill,tilt the pieces so that they form a V,instead of an L,and start at the high end,working toward the lower end with small side to side or half moon motions.
If you weld thicker stuff,try to warm it up somehow.
test your heat range on scraps of what you are gonna weld to check for penetration,too much,too little or just right.
little 110 migs will do a lot.

[/IMG]
Thanks Rodburner, those are some pretty welds. I was trying a bit more last night after I had watched a friend of mine do some welds and it's coming around a little better. I think one of the major issues with the machine I have is that there is only a Min/Max setting, no dial. I have my eyes on a Clarke that seems to have more adjustability for the intensity.

I Really like my Miller 110v mig, its easy to use and does a beautiful job. I just got a spool gun it and I'm dying to try welding some aluminum.

I also have one of the little red shoebox sized HF Tig/stick welders. Don't let the size fool ya, it's a 220v machine and I use it for the stuff I think may be too thick for my mig.

I'm not welding bridges or construction equipment, I'm a garage tinkerer / inventor / minibike mechanic.

:weld:

danc9

I've been using this one for a long time. It is what it is, inexpensive and quick. I've found that you need to clean every thing before burning, the flux aint great even over a little paint. It has paid for itself many times!

DAN

That's just like mine, Linc.- weld-pak 3200, I've done minis, roll cages, and rebuilt a few strut towers, works amazingly well for a 110V machine. Also running gas and solid wire, I didn't like the way the welds turned out with the flux core.

I've recently been having luck with with my welder. I changed what brand rod I use and started using more 6013 that 6011, and I've been doing pretty well. I was able to get really deep penetration to the point where the object I was welding was glowing bright red and so was the object it was being welded to. AWESOME. :biggrin: