ARCO custom Build

This is my first mini build and i plan to make it a good one. Im not going for a "correct'' restoration but more of a custom in the style of 70s lowriders, flake, lace, panels if i can fit one somewhere. Im not sure how much i can incorporate onto such a small bike but it should be fun to try. Here is what im starting out with. Its an ARCO frame (not sure what year), 3hp briggs and aluminum rims with a drum brake, thats about it. Here is the bike when i got it on saturday.

I sand blasted the frame to remove the few coats of paint.

Making a new engine mount with my new 1951 bandsaw.

Set the new motor mount in the frame and trying to figure out where it should be mounted. The gas tank on the engine is super close to the back tire but i think it will work.

I was taking a look at my rims for the first time last night and realized it has a drum brake which im pretty happy about. I need to cut off the scrub brake now. Anyone have an idea what these wheels are from?

Front wheel

The size of this rear sprocket is way smaller than what ive seen on other ARCOs, should have a good top speed. None of the wheel spacers came with it so i need to build some tonight.

oldfatguy

Question, If i wanted to convert to a peanut tank would i need a new carb?
you will need a different carb unless you use it as a reserve tank to fill the briggs tank when it's low.

another thing is that rear sprocket is a bit small and will hurt your take off power but it should give you good top end cruising speed. That is a choice you will make depending on how and where you use the bike.
The 3hp briggs is a good choice and will run and work very well on your Arco. I have one on mine and I'm real happy with it and it usually starts first pull. I see that you found that you had to move the engine plate to fit the briggs . It will be a nice bike when it's done because you are off to a good start already.

here is the one that I built

markus

your wheels are from an Arctic cat that had a 2 stroke on it, your probably gonna have to change out that sprocket in order to get any rideablilty out of it.
the wheels themselves are usually referred to as made by Manco, they are found on their karts and bikes, arctic cat used them as well as a company called CCS for their production bikes too.

I don't know if you will find a big enough sprocket with that bolt pattern but you can remove that sprocket and spacer and they make and array of them in the 3.25 pattern that you will find the spacer is bolted to. Manco had a cast spacer for those wheels when you can find them they are the way to go, but you can just use the typical spacers.

here is the manco spacer, I just sold it the other day unfortunatly, but gives you and idea of what to look for:

you will need a different carb unless you use it as a reserve tank to fill the briggs tank when it's low.

another thing is that rear sprocket is a bit small and will hurt your take off power but it should give you good top end cruising speed. That is a choice you will make depending on how and where you use the bike.
The 3hp briggs is a good choice and will run and work very well on your Arco. I have one on mine and I'm real happy with it and it usually starts first pull. I see that you found that you had to move the engine plate to fit the briggs . It will be a nice bike when it's done because you are off to a good start already.

here is the one that I built
Nice bike, i like the plate on top of the frame. I may have to add one, itl give me more stuff to paint! Thanks for the carb info, i will probably stick with the stock briggs tank, not alot of room up top.

I slotted and welded my engine plate in and built wheel spacers, I also cut off the scrub brake and welded a piece of rebar for a new spring holder.

This weekend i did some more work on the bike. I got the throttle hooked up, got the brake hooked up and got it running. It wouldnt start and found it had a bad plug and replaced it. It still wouldnt start so i cleaned and reset the points and it fired right up. It is super slow and barely gets me moving but it gets up to about 15 after a hundred yards. The next step is to get a bigger sprocket and a new clutch. The guy i got it from found the seat and brought it over. It has leopard print on top so i think its an artic cat seat but its not in good shape. I guess ill buy one on ebay. Here is a pic after i got done riding it for the first time.

Here is an update on my bike. It is now painted and i need to assemble it as soon as it is dry. I went with gold and rainbow metal flake and a lace panel on the fork. I also sand blasted my wheels and cleared them. I have a few other new parts that be part of the next post
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

I am glad that you got the correct sprocket I was going to post you a linkhttp://www.OldMiniBikes.com/3-4-Max-Torque-Clutch-and-4-35-Chain-and-Guard-OMB455GX1.html good luck with it