ARCO rebuild.

vette66_00

Im told by Jimh that this is a ARCO, Alexander Reynolds, A/R. Couple things. I would like to kind of restore it. I have a larger motor 8hp Briggs flat head. Would this be to far out of line for a restore? I also will have to reweld new scrub brake mounts these are toast. Tires are also bad cracked alot, Bearings need replaced, also the front handle bars look like something from a Bike with 2 clamps. I dont want to destroy an older bike so Im asking question before I proceed. Is this bike already to cut up to continue?
What motor were on these when new? About what year would this be? Are they rare or common?

Please any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Look through the Alexander Reynolds pics in the photos. Do your handlebars have a knurled section in the middle for a bicycle gooseneck. Some models came with bicycle looking bars. Your frame is close to the same as my red one with steel wheels. The bars are a lot like the one with white mags, which DID have a clone in it. Your bike is not that bad. Looks like someone added some engine plate, and the scrub brake is missing, and mounts worn. They're not that rare or collectable, but nice riding little bikes. Have fun however you do it.

vette66_00

Yes this handle bar has the knurled middle as if it was suppose to be on a Bike. This project is going to be up to my boys then. I will let them decide how they want it to be. I will show them the pics I found of the Arco and then we will go from there. Thanks jimh.

I have one of those. I bought for $60. I am in the process of redoing it. I only stripped it down to the frame and did some sanding. My 5 yo daughter is helping me with the sanding. I have bought new throttle grips, kill switch and drum brake set up. I still have a long way to go and alot of parts still left to buy.

ARCO EASY RIDERS

I have about 6 of those Alexander Reynolds minibikes including the chopper version so they are definitely not rare at least on the East coast. I'm adding 3 inches to my cat minibike right now and it is coming along great. This is so I can fit my 8 hp briggs flathead in there. Don't you need to do the same? I think you should put the 8 hp in and do what you want to the bike.

vette66_00

Yes we are going to put the Briggs in. I will need to modify the frame to make it fit. We have also decided to put a new rear rim and disc brake set up on it, since the DB does so well with it. Im also considering stretching the frame about 6 inches since we are going with a bigger motor. Will see. I will post photos as we progress.

Oldsalt

Yes we are going to put the Briggs in. I will need to modify the frame to make it fit. We have also decided to put a new rear rim and disc brake set up on it, since the DB does so well with it. Im also considering stretching the frame about 6 inches since we are going with a bigger motor. Will see. I will post photos as we progress.
Ya. Do it! The attached is my ARCO with a big block Clinton. To get more room I stretched the frame 4" and raised it 1-1/2". 6" might be better because it will allow better access to the foot pegs. Incidently, my TAV came from Fresno. A friend on Valentine Ave. bought a 50 Merc and it was in the back seat!

Mine handles great and is fast and fun to ride.

good thing... it would fall apart without it! im almost done with my frame extension to fit the 8hp. i just need to bend the fame a bit with the acetylene torch and place my 3.5 inch tubes and rods in place and weld her up! oh yeah i gotta move that engine plate forward a bit :doah: and then i should be halfway to a finished bike! goodluck on your bike vette!
-alfalfa