Arctic Cat worth it?

I suppose he could be scamming us but where's the trust?
I have found that as I get older (Yes, I am an "old' guy- about ready to collect Social Security), you trust people you do not know less and less due to the life experiences you have had, and (hopefully) the wisdom you have gained as a result of them. (You other old guys can relate I'm sure) Ever hear the expression "Fool me once, shame on YOU, fool me twice shame on ME."? Simply stated, we get more and more careful, cautious, and less-trustworthy as we age.
I agree with ogygopsis as rules are rules (whether or not members understand, abide by, or even bother to READ them), and SHOULD BE ENFORCED. Ah, there's "the rub" as they say, as I have seen this "No asking what it's worth" rule actually being enforced by the moderators significantly less and less in the last few years -they seem to let it slide. So along comes a new member and reads recent posts were other members were "allowed" to ask- what is he/she to think? To avoid the drama, mis-understandings, and ill feelings either enforce the rule (every time), or repeal the rule and let members ask away.
Michael

Hey guys, A fellow in Altoona is selling this Fox Campus and he's asking $250.00 for it. I know I can't ask how much it's worth but is it worth the money and is it worth my time and effort to drive all that way to go and look at it? Now, you tell me: Is there really a guy in Altoona selling this bike or do I own it and am just fishing for a value. Ogy
Here's a picture of the bike. Ogy

Ogy that's not yours, your garage would never be that messy :biggrin:

That's a weird looking motor on there what is it...?.:detective:

You are 100% correct KKK. The pic was actually taken by the fellow down near Philadelphia when he was selling the bike. That's his garage. I did buy the bike and it's sitting under my workbench with about five other frames that I may get around to after I finish the ten I'm currently restoring. I didn't want the motor so I dropped it off at a scrapyard on the way home and never gave a thought to actually looking at it to determine its make. Just thought the pic would serve as a good example of the point I was trying to make in this thread. Ogy

Dubs

As a new member, one that intends on sticking around! And continuing to spend all my available cash on OldMiniBikes! I wanted to wrap this up.

My apologies for breaking the rules. I was unaware such a rule existed. However, thank you to those of you that actually wanted to be helpful and provided a productive response.

Ogy - I fully understand and appreciate where you're coming from. Rules are rules. That being said, in that context - I question the intent of the 'ebay & craigslist' forum all together. Taking a look at recent threads in that forum, nearly all of them have some indication or observation of something being under/over priced. Clearly I am not the only one to have overlooked the fine print.

In hindsight I could have posted the link and just said something like: "whoa, check this out" ... and I probably would have gotten the exact same responses... and been in compliance with the rules. Perhaps then you wouldn't have jumped all over me (and those that were trying to be helpful).

As a new member, one that intends on sticking around! And continuing to spend all my available cash on OldMiniBikes! I wanted to wrap this up.

My apologies for breaking the rules. I was unaware such a rule existed. However, thank you to those of you that actually wanted to be helpful and provided a productive response.

Ogy - I fully understand and appreciate where you're coming from. Rules are rules. That being said, in that context - I question the intent of the 'ebay & craigslist' forum all together. Taking a look at recent threads in that forum, nearly all of them have some indication or observation of something being under/over priced. Clearly I am not the only one to have overlooked the fine print.

In hindsight I could have posted the link and just said something like: "whoa, check this out" ... and I probably would have gotten the exact same responses... and been in compliance with the rules. Perhaps then you wouldn't have jumped all over me (and those that were trying to be helpful).
Dubs, Perhaps I should have worded my response differently. As a newbie and not being up to speed on some of the site rules I can overlook someone asking the what's it worth question. My problem is more with the seasoned members and old timers who just can't help themselves and have to express their opinions regarding value. Even though they know better. They certainly have been around long enough to know what problems and hard feelings those threads have caused on this site. We've even had members quit because of those threads. The standard response to the value question should be: Hi newbie and welcome to OldMiniBikes. We're glad to have you on board. Unfortunately, our rules do not allow us to express opinions regarding the values of members minibikes. Once you become more familiar with our site you will have a better understanding of why we don't do that. Most of our members use ebay or Craig's List to get an idea of what their bike is worth. Good luck and hope to have you around for a long time. PS...If I knew how to do it I would make that answer a sticky. Ogy

WrenchDad

My problem is more with the seasoned members and old timers who just can't help themselves and have to express their opinions regarding value. Even though they know better.

OGY first let me opologize for feeding into the problem, I do agree with you and that is why I dont respond with cash values. However I truely didnt see his question of "is this a good deal " the same as what's it worth. I assumed (mayebe wrongfully)that he didnt know if he was being ripped off on $$ vs. condition. Would it be OK for some one to ask "In your opinion would you pay this amount for this bike Yes or NO? I know when people are looking to buy they use the experiance of the members on this site as a guide line. I base what I spend on what I have available for the whole project taking into account what I might need in parts or repair. Some people are new to the hobby and dont know if parts are available or what they cost so they dont know if they are over paying or not. I dont know the answer I'm just asking.

My problem is more with the seasoned members and old timers who just can't help themselves and have to express their opinions regarding value.
Guilty of trying to help a member. Sorry. Also guilty of trusting people until I'm given a reason not to. Sorry. The world would be a better place if we all did more of that.

I've been a supporting member since day one. I was unaware of the rules when I first joined because they are in a sticky in one buried location, and yes, Ogy, I read what I could find. They also mostly address the "don't ask" side of the question. I never considered it a crime to answer. What bugs me is when the newbie gets a lot of smart ass responses and makes them feel 2 inches tall. I think we're all better than that here and we should treat new members with respect, even if they unknowingly made a mistake.

The drama associated with this type of question has never been about the valuations, but the fact that some poor slob asked the forbidden question. Nobody forced anyone to respond. How about from now on, we give the exact response Hent spells out or nothing at all? Once the first person responds with "ITS WORTH WHAT SOMEONE WILL PAY FOR IT", drop it. No more responses are necessary.

Personally I think it would be a little kinder and more helpful to say "Sorry, we can't discuss valuations here", but that's not my call. How about we have the rules spelled out in a place that is accessible directly on the forum home page, not in a sticky in a sub-thread that you have to go into, then scroll half way down the page to find.

I honestly was just trying to help the guy. We're here to help each other, aren't we? I'm sorry if I've done wrong. My bad for typing in actual $ numbers.

What I find really kind of ironic is that I've gotten PM valuation questions from some of the members responding to this very thread. I was happy to help, they were happy to get my opinion, and everything was good. I consider everyone here to be my friend, except for the member that F'd me on a part deal a few weeks ago. :laugh:.

Hopefully Hent can put a link to the site rules right at the top on the forum home page. It would be helpful to all. Maybe he can also make it more clear that we have both a "don't ask" AND "don't tell" policy. Maybe he can include a few code of conduct bullet points as well. Be respectful of each other, be respectful of the site rules, be helpful when you can, etc..

One thing is certain, as Ogy correctly pointed out, people will continue to ask for valuations and the only thing we can control is how we respond. I'll stick to the canned response from now on, but I can't say I won't try to be helpful in other ways.