Atlas Project, Son is starting from roller

Hello all, we're new to the Mini-bike world but with my son spending "too many" hours on video games we're attempting to move into another venue, hence the large Atlas project.

We've got a pretty fair looking Atlas rolling frame to work with and have tubes coming from OldMiniBikes along with a kill switch, chain, beaker key etc.

Now other than that jargon, its all newbie :)

Though we've already learned some lessons to take down the road:
Tappered shaft is bad
3/4" shaft is preferred
Veritical shaft is bad
Accesory bolt pattern on housing is preferred
3.5hp is not quite it for our bike
And lastly, not all small engines are created equally

We'd like to go back as original if that were possible. The old bike looks like it'd be pretty cool fully restored. Plus my son is from the same OEM area, so sort of a double cool.

We have some pictures of brackets, though we're not too sure what goes there. If anyone has some specs or pictures we'd really appreciate it. Better yet, if anyone has original stuff that bolts on there...well, bingo!!

Thanks for what looks like a great site. Looking foward to building the project.

Hope the pictures load easy enough, our first try...

Maybe the album will be easier to view, dunno.

buckeye

Nice story and project.
Have you looked in the photo gallery? You should be able to find some good pics of where you are going.
Great of you to get him off the games and in " the game.":thumbsup:
Welcome to OldMiniBikes!!!

catfishman

glad to see my old mini getting worked on by you and your son, looks like you got another one since you picked my old one up:thumbsup:

LoL, no not holding out :)

The other is a Scat Cat. We picked it up about a week ago as the parts for the Atlas were looking a bit bleak at the time.

The thought was it had all the pieces so somewhat easier to tinker with. I've since been told no tinkering. Apparently a survivor bike, so I guess a good find. Later we'll just clean it up and see what we get.

I don't want to derail the Atlas effort at the moment so the Scat Cat will just hang out it in peanut gallery. Sort of a, "that's what it looks like", go-by.

Since this is the US Vintage Forum I didn't think I was supposed to post pictures of the Scat Cat here, but I did load an album under our username. Album = Scat Cat ASC114.

Thanks Catfish.

Yeah, we've been spending a couple of weeks trying to pick up the odds and ends to work on the Atlas with. Finally made it in for the stands and caught a couple good sales on tools and a compressor.

The second mini was just a fluke. Stumbled on it one afternoon and decided to pick it up since it had all of the pieces.

We've also managed to pick up a vintage kart, in the "shopping" process. LoL, I guess we've fallen into the small engine abyss and become addicted over night.

The kart is a way tangent project, but maybe before the Scat Cat. Obviuosly a different style of speed, we'll see which he wants to tackle after the Atlas.

It all looks like a lot of fun, now if we can just find a place to play with all of the new toys :)

I didn't get that good a deal on it. But at the time thought it was worth it since it looked complete and simply forgotten about.

He said it had always been in a garage and came from an elderly couple. My hope is, limited to no abuse. As far as I can see it's in really good shape. I think I could wipe it down and it would shine like the day it was purchased. The paint looks like its still waxed where the oil and dirt is missing. No dump marks. No scratches. No bends. Just age.

Haven't even pulled the string yet; had to get it up on a stand and out of the wife's parking area ASAP :)

buckeye

Yeah, that is a nice looking bike. Good score.
Let her park outside for awhile so she gets use to it.:laugh:
You're gonna need the room.:thumbsup: