B&S 3 hp model 80202 running hot

p35

Hi Guys , I have a Vintage B&S 3 hp model 80202 with two oil caps and two drain screws. My first question is i only put oil in one side , and fill it until i saw a little oil coming up before it reached the treads of the oil cap was that correct . My second question is a after running it for about 5 min i notice the engine was getting hot all over is that normal or did i not put enough oil in it . My last question when i try to start the engine the first time it wouldn't start , until i put a little gas down the carb and it started fine on the first pull i let it run a little while than stop it pull the rope it would start on the first try every time. But if i stop the engine say for about 15-20 min it won't start unless i put gas the the carb why is it doing that . thanks

How do you KNOW that "... the engine is getting hot all over..." ? That is to say, what criteria did you use or what were the VISUAL signs?
Michael

Hey P35! No expert but have a few little flathead briggs.

Approx. 20 oz of oil( up to the bottom thread should be ok)

HOT= Creia's response . Subjective . They get hot in 5 Minutes to burn the hide off my finger!

Fuel in carb for starting ... Hmm. I got one that won't start without choke no matter what.. My carb is a vacu jet. Post pics of your engine and numbers on the blower housing and I bet some experts will chime in.

Good luck, and love those lil flatheads!!

p35

Thanks guys i was touching the engine all over with my hand didn't known it would get that hot ,and was worry i didn't put enough oil in it.

Thanks guys i was touching the engine all over with my hand didn't known it would get that hot ,and was worry i didn't put enough oil in it.
Using your HAND to determine if the engine is getting too hot = NO GOOD. These engines get way too hot to touch and it was most likely just at normal operating temperature.
Michael

No, you didn't add the right amount of oil (should be up to the threads with the engine level.) "Fill 'til you spill."

But I'm sure you had enough oil to safely run it for a short while.

It's an internal combustion engine. They generate a lot of heat.

I fill them till they spill out. Do you have all the tins on the engine? Besides that theres not much else to worry about. Whenever you have running problems with a briggs switch out the diaphram 95% of the time itll fix the problem. I keep a dozen on hand