Back to the Model P..

About 5 years ago I bought a "P" Gote. Got a lot of help here..especially Mr. Trotter. Used a NOS flathead B&S,,Found the clutch and belt. Had the frame,etc powdercoated..Seat recovered..Screens installed..Then..got on other projects..antique child's sleigh, and a Mercedes convertible.Today I moved it from the back room of my shop to finish it up. I recall Mr. Trotter helping with the throttle linkage. I would like to post some pics., so the experts can look it over to see if I made any mistakes so far. The message came up that ..for some reason I couldn't post ?? Can one of the moderator check my status..so I can check things over, and finally ride the GOTE. I never even started it..thanks..Jerry..

Just checked #s on my engine...190492-0794 (74120511)..My belt says COMET 204331..I think this is 8 HP. ?? Can someone confirm ?..thanks..jv..(PS..Mr Trotter..I found the bent throttle wire that I made after you sent me a diagram. I'll try assemble of all the throttle tomorrow)

The motor numbers are right for a 1974 8hp motor. The belt I've been using on these is a Comet 203790. Sometimes it helps to think about a project before continuing. Much better than rushing into something. Can't wait to see your pics and hear about your first ride.

Well..Here's my Model "P".. ....5 years in the making..I do have a couple questions..There is a small wire coming from a silver box on the back of the engine. Is this for a kill switch ?..Where can I get the correct one ? Another shot shows a part that is held in position by a spring..Is that so the governor is disabled ? I'm pretty much in the dark about the engines..1970 8HP Flathead..This engine is NOS and has never been started. I think I have the throttle linkage sorted..but if anyone has an old Flattie with the linkage..let me know. I like spares !! The clutch says COMET..and the belt says 204331..Which Mr. Trotter questioned. He runs a different belt. Pretty much everything is new..Tires..blocks.. bearings..clutch..brakes, etc..Any thought or suggestions before the maiden run will be MUCH appreciated..thanks..jerry..

I have the original seat..(recovered)..and all the proper screens that I had powdercoated..then edged with rubber welting..We have 40 acres at our farm..with trails that the grandkids ride their 4 wheelers on. I HOPE to keep up !

The wire from the back of the motor was a kill wire for the mower or other equipment the motor came from. It is best to connect your kill button/switch directly to the wire on the coil. Also, be careful that the plug wire is always on the spark plug or grounded to the motor when you spin the motor. These motors are known to blow the coil if you turn the motor over with the wire disconnected.

D...I pulled the shroud off..and the wire with the yellow tape marked is, in fact, coming from the coil. Will that one work ?..Can I attach that wire to one post..then another wire from the other post to the frame for a ground ?

Think the kil lswitch is sorted. Can someone tell me which position the Governor bracket should be in to make sure it's disabled ? It came with a stiff spring attached so it is in the upright position. Sorry for all there very basic small engine question..but these are new to me..jv..