Bad Dog Balloon Tire Build

I've just completed a new Bad Dog Enterpises Balloon Knobby Tire Mini Bike.

This was my first build and I selected this kit because it had 14 inch knobby tires, installed kickstand, extended seat and it was a pretty decent price. It also looked like it would be a good match for the Harbor Freight 6.5 motor.

The kit shipped promptly and soon it pulled up in my drive on the big Fedex truck.

As I unpacked all of the parts I was first a little surprised to find there were no, zero instructions. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded so figuring out this relatively simple machine was not too much of a challange. I was dissapointed that several parts to my kit were missing. I was missing both of the nylocks that hold the axels in place, the kill switch and was short about 2 inches the special tubing used for the axel bushings. A quick call to Robin at Bad Dog had the parts on the way via express shipping and I had everthing in short order. Robin is a nice guy and confirmed there are zero instructions for the kit but offered some good suggestions on how to measure out the axels bushings for the best fit.:thumbsup:

I didn't really encounter any major problems and it was fun figuring everything out. My new HF 6.5 bolted right in and I engineered a throttle hookup that seems to work alright so far. I did cut the throttle lever off as it was just in the way of the cable. The whole bike was primed and and finished off with Krylon in True Blue. I think it looks pretty nice!

Just one pull and the HF motor was running smoothly. I let it warm up and ran it up a little with the back wheel off the ground. The only concern I had was that the chain was probably a couple of links too long, but I don't own a chain breaker so I was in hopes it would stay together. Everything looked and sounded good so I hopped on and gave her a little gas.:scooter: Holly smokes! My little bike was a lot more powerful and fast than I had anticipated! My ride was cut short when the too long chain came off.:censure:

Tomorrow I should have a chance to have the chain shortened. I will update this post after a get some real riding experience with it. Also will try to include some photos of the project in progress.

Last edited:
sounds good :thumbsup: Its pretty easy to shorten a chain with a hammer and punch just punch the pins out. you can hold it in a vice or just set it on a small nut to punch the pins through. also works for lenthening chains or piecing together short lenths without removable links

C9H13NO3

You can remove links with a grinder a hammer and a punch. Grind it flat on one side, push the pin out with a punch, and reconnect the master link.

You can remove links with a grinder a hammer and a punch. Grind it flat on one side, push the pin out with a punch, and reconnect the master link.
grinder isnt nesessary most of the time. depends on the chain but i rarely see #35 or #41 with riveted links. Mostly just bicycle chain is peened over on the ends

I am just finishing up my Bad Dog build also... I have the one with the really BIG balloon tires... I will put the pictures up when I get it done. It was fun and a great learning experience. Got me hooked, and had to get 2 of the Baja DB's for my daughters, did the 6.5 swap on one and jackshaft on the other. Now we are having some fun. :thumbsup:

Looks like you have a great place for riding there. If I had a place like that close to the house, the family would never see me... Your bike turned out really nice. I cut a piece of big truck mudflap for between the engine and frame, it helps a little with the vibration. Not much, could just help my mind I guess... :eek:ut:

Nice.

I wish I could spend some money on mini but not just yet.

So is there a chain tensioner on the frame or do you just slide the engine forward to take up the slack when needed.

I just moved from a more urban area out to the country. A mini bike would have been almost useless in the old neighborhood. I've got 5+ miles of horse trails just outside my door and hardly any horses! Plus the trail goes thru part of our property so no one is going to give us any grief. Yep, just about perfect except now it is too cold to ride. I'm a lucky boy.

Hello,
I am getting ready to order a Bad Dog Mini and I am undecided which version to purchase, the Big Balloon like yours or the Studded (16" front tire / 14" rear tire) (8" front wheel / 6" rear)
How is the ride with the Balloon tires? Are they very heavy? What do you recommend?

Your bike looks great - Congrats...

hello ther i ve got a bad dog kit with the 22 x 11 x8 tires on mine went big block 16 hp had made a jack shaft hung from or welded the seat of the of frame area made gussetts and braces for the torque of the motor thursday night i'll have pics how this was done and i am cutting off the the foot pegs and reprositioning just to get away from the clutch and possibly will get some diamond plate thin for fenders my buddy just got a sheet metal press so were designing a little right now