Baja Heat Front Forks

Hello, I have a Baja Heat that I think needs new front fork oil. Does anyone know how to change/fill the front forks? I've sent numerious emails to Baja Mortorsports and tried to call. They've never responded to at least 6 emails and 3 phone calls.

Any advise you can provide on how to drain/fill the front forks would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Dump and drain the forks....

Add some Dexron 2 and work the oil and drain again. Odds are they are quite dirty inside so do this untill the ATF run out clear. Add 51ml of Dexron 2 toeach fork, this oil is a bit heavier than the factory oil ( what ever it is ) but it will do the job cheaper and easier than any fork oil. You may find you want something even thicker than Dex2 if your a heavy rider like...

Remove the shocks from the bike ( one bolt on the tree ).

Remove the bolt inthe center of the strut and pull out the pisotn and spring.

Nothing too it.

See the reflectors?
take out those bolts.

While you have the front apart remove the front wheel bearings and check everything. fill the hub about 1/3 full of grease. If the bearing feel rough replace them, then do the rear end, then the jack shaft......

The bearings are good, I checked those when I got the bike. I know which bolt your talking about to remove the down tubes..... I had a good look at it when I realized I was only getting 3 inches of travel up front and was trying to figure out why it wasn't 4" . I was under the impression there was some thing under the forks to fill them up....I should have just un-did the bolt and find out for my self, I just figured "if it aint broke don't fix it" I have other projects to mess with if I wanna tinker..

Just rebuilt my shocks and now they work better than ever!:drinkup: The previous oil(or lack of) made the front end too soft and springy. now that there all filled up (I used 50cc/ml) they work like a charm and are a bit stiffer. Works perfect for my 230 pound ass they were able to take a quite a few jumps at 35-40 mph with out a hitch.(I take care of my ride but I still like to beat on it:devil2:) I only noticed them bottom out once, but that was a nose dive so.....

Yea, I found out the hard way on that.....when adding oil I said what does this internet dumbbell mean, 51 ml! it only filled halve way up.....yea, I'm dummy that had to go fix it:doah: That's ok, these shocks are of a really poor design any way, a good shock is completely filled with oil the oil level shouldn't be affected by shock compression...... I don't know who designed these crappy things but they aren't made right.

These things are more of a emulsion shock than a bladder or reservoir shocks. That really screws with the oil weight, after the oil foams it can be up to 50% lighter in weight

Last edited:
not sure what you mean 'bottoms out early'.

I put more in than recommneded, I would push down on the fork and add a little more until the "springy" feel stopped and felt more like suspension than just a spring inside.

If you put too much in you will get a hydraulic lock is what I mean.
I just went with the spec i was given but I am going to try what YOU say and see exactly how much causes a lock and report back.

Good idea Machinebike