Banging Raptor

You know I had a lot of fun with this used raptor I bought. (see trying to find numbers on my Raptor... Briggs and Stratton section). I have learned never buy a used motor unless it's on a snow plow or rototiller :censure: ! Anyway fired it up and to my surprise it is banging like crazy :censure: Pulled off the head and the piston will move back and forth in the bore. Not good! The guy told me it has just been rebuilt. F.Y.I. Everything is clean in the valve and head area, piston etc... You can even read the STD on the top of piston. Kind of good! Said he used it for two races. Well before I start getting my elbows and pocket book in it your opinion if I should go into it or scrap it. My thought is maybe cylinder is two large for a standard piston or rings are two small and go with larger rings.....
At this point put down your opinions and thoughts, I'll take what ever I get except a sharp stick in the eye.(old timers like myself) :laugh: So feel free......
Dennis

whotought hurting the gasket? thats gunna be kindove hard,, i guess if
you take a razor blade to the one side all the way around you can prob save it, but if you mean the side cover just take all the bolts out amd pull, if yours is stuck on, lightly tap near the oil fil

You know I had a lot of fun with this used raptor I bought. (see trying to find numbers on my Raptor... Briggs and Stratton section). I have learned never buy a used motor unless it's on a snow plow or rototiller :censure: ! Anyway fired it up and to my surprise it is banging like crazy :censure: Pulled off the head and the piston will move back and forth in the bore. Not good! The guy told me it has just been rebuilt. F.Y.I. Everything is clean in the valve and head area, piston etc... You can even read the STD on the top of piston. Kind of good! Said he used it for two races. Well before I start getting my elbows and pocket book in it your opinion if I should go into it or scrap it. My thought is maybe cylinder is two large for a standard piston or rings are two small and go with larger rings.....
At this point put down your opinions and thoughts, I'll take what ever I get except a sharp stick in the eye.(old timers like myself) :laugh: So feel free......
Dennis

And that is why I always ask to hear it run before I show cash. People LOVE to lie, especially when it will make that quick buck for them.

If it doesn't run, it's worth pretty much scrap metal to me. 5hp briggs & tecumsehs in non-running condition are worth about $10 each to me.

As far as gaskets go, I can get gaskets. There cheep! But I was worried about the case being stuck and with the alignment pins and all. I guess it's not like separating a trans from a V8. That's what I was talking about.
Hearing it run.... I won't buy from E=bay or craigslist. The guy sent a video with the engine running and it sounded ok. It arrived with no oil or gas in it because I bought from a guy in California using Craigslist. Never , never again. No, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. That my friends was from my now deceased Father, God bless his soul. :scooter:

With all that said, any ideas of what could be the problem. What we say at work, "take a swag". A scientific wild a _ _ guess! Thanks, Dennis

Last edited:
Measure the cylinder. Measure the piston. Check online to get some specs on what each should be. If the cylinder walls aren't messed up, I am sure you can fix it. How much did you pay for it? There isn't much to them. I got a raptor on an older margay chassis for $300! It's sitting on my bench waiting to get a gas carb installed. It's set up for alky. I just need a weekend to play with it and get it set up. I know it sucks to get screwed in a deal, but you'll know the motor inside and out if you rebuild it.

I'll have to get another mic? Lent the other one out forgot who has it. I slowly turned the crank and there are no gouges in it, matter of fact it looks freshly honed. So my opinion I can let that go. I'll mic it and see what the deal is. This one was with everything I have in to it, some parts, postage etc.. $200.00. Any idea where on the web I can find a spec sheet with everything, engine tolerances & measurements, torque specs what have you? I have to laugh, I usually can repair a motor. I used to work on my muscle cars with engine overhauls , heads, cams etc.... just got to expensive. So I decided to go back to these when I retired. :laugh:

I can't believe I read this right? Piston size 2.062 Bore 2.068 or maybe 4.062 and 4.068 sounds correct? Anyway it's to loose. Been years since I read a mic and it wasn't digital, Ideas anyone ......

I can't believe it, I just don't believe it. I was talking to a friend of mine who does bartering as a hobby. A few weeks ago he scored some he calls crap, stuff. A few lawn mowers and a engine block for a 5hp Briggs etc... He said it looks pretty good. Doesn't really know much about it but if I can use it give him $ 50.00 and call it a day. Checked it out, there is a STD piston in the bore no slop either. I got myself a good block! :drinkup: Tomorrow or Monday I start assembly need to get some gaskets of course. But I think this is cool :cool:. I guess I'm rich in friends !!!! Now try to remember to assemble it.
Oh one more thing, when you have the bearing on the end of the crank is there another mark on the crank to align the cam. OOPPP'S forgot to mark it. :censure:

The bore after measuring is 2.566. Now what any ideas, bore it, scrap it, shoot it with my 12 gauge? Not sure, I do have another block coming tomorrow, just wanted to know if it's worth saving for another project.
Dennis :shrug:

joshua. c.

if its a real briggs raptor not just a hotroded briggs 5 its worth fixing in my opinon. id say dis asemble it and send just the block to a reputable engine builder and have it re freshed with a new oversized piston and re asemble it yourself to save mony. then you will have 2 engines instead of one.

if its a real briggs raptor not just a hotroded briggs 5 its worth fixing in my opinon. id say dis asemble it and send just the block to a reputable engine builder and have it re freshed with a new oversized piston and re asemble it yourself to save mony. then you will have 2 engines instead of one.
Winner winner chicken dinner!! That is the correct answer:thumbsup:
Michael

The bore after measuring is 2.566. Now what any ideas, bore it, scrap it, shoot it with my 12 gauge? Not sure, I do have another block coming tomorrow, just wanted to know if it's worth saving for another project.
Dennis :shrug:
You need to take MULTIPLE measurements, at different angles, up and down the bore using a t-gauge specifically made for measuring bores. It could be oversized, tapered, out-of-round, or all of the above.
Michael

Call me stubborn I found another block. Thanks to the city garbage is tomorrow, that is where the old one is going. Now to build the new block. I like having fun with this stuff :eek:ut:. I know, I know people think I'm crazy but fixed income doesn't help either. Thanks for the advise to all ...... Dennis