Bearkat Twister

Nice! Sometimes the Twisters with 12" wheels were labeled as 'Cheetah'. Made in Mesa by the guys that raced the twisters, Guy Wakefield and Dean Callahan. These were the step between the Twister and the Hotshot.
Cheetah (2).JPG

Last edited:
I find this bike extremely cool, but can't explain exactly why. It kinda reminds me of an early ('40s-'50s) hot rod, somehow (maybe it's the stance, wheels, big-n-little tires). The color scheme reminds me of an old Oliver tractor that I spent some long days in the saddle of as a kid, a model 66 Row-Crop. I'm usually not a fan of patina but this thing just looks right and it would be a shame to repaint it or do anything drastic, cosmetically, IMO. I do think a distressed brown leather seat might look good on it, odd since I usually don't like seats that aren't black, and that headlight looks like it could use a slight adjustment, unless you're going to be hunting raccoons from the saddle. I assume this bike is quite rare. I live in an area (SE VA) where all minibikes are quite rare (34 years here and don't think I've seen a vintage American minibike in person). I've been checking the local (Norfolk) CL daily for 2 years; on the extremely rare occasion that a vintage mini is listed, it's been molested and/or it's a rust bucket and/or the price is crazy and/or it's something I don't desire. January of last year, a Rupp Roadster (or very similar model) in Norfolk, totally encrusted in rust, sold for $3,000 (I should say I assume it sold as it was only listed for a few days). Now, there is a nice looking restored Roadster listed in Richmond for $5,800. I don't remember seeing any other Rupps between those two. What I'm leading up to is that, while I understand that Rupps are popular, your Twister must be much more rare (a lot cooler, too, IMO). If a nice one somehow came up for sale around here, I imagine the seller would be asking several thousand for it. I've checked this thread every day since the first post because I like this bike so much. I've been rambling and I'll stop, now. Anyway, great bike, please don't screw it up.! ;)

https://offerup.com/item/detail/436465294/

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/6/6/668-oliver-66.html

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rupp.153455/

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rupp-roadster-in-richmond-va.166001/

Seriously, how cool are those 5-lug steelies? :p

I have a Bearkat Twister that I bought 30 plus years ago. Drove it around the mountains of Arizona, then moved it to Northern Wisconsin and used it in the woods there and then parked it for 10 years and just pulled it out and cleaned it up and it's ready to go. When I bought it, the classified Ad told me it was a Tote Tote and just now found out it is a Bearkat Twister by an avid minibiker. Anyway, I need a drive belt. Does the one pictured here have a make and number on the belt you could share. Or does anyone know the drive belt I need? Thanks!

Here are some pictures of the Twister. I am looking for help in getting the correct belt for the clutch. I only have a fan belt on there now which is NOT correct. I would appreciate any input on identifying the clutch and size/type drive belt I need. I did measure the center to center bolts and they are 11 inches with a 7 inch diameter driver in back. As far as I can tell, both sides of the clutch are tapered.
This Twister I bought in Phoenix an 1988 off an ad in the newspaper (remember the classified ads, before internet/craigslist). I rode it in the mountains of Arizona while deer hunting, then moved it to N. Wisconsin and rode it for years in the Northwoods. Was advertised as a Tote Gote and I didn't know any better so until last month that is what I thought it was. Then answered an add on craigslist about a Tote Gote and a Wards T777 Buffalo and the seller identified mine as a Bearkat Twister (so now I know what it is). He also steered me to this site and I have learned much already....THANKS to all of you much more knowledgeable than me. I took it apart this past winter and cleaned it up, but now am looking to get it out and ride with the correct belt, etc.
Any information on the bike will be appreciated and studied.

Attachments