BELT DRIVE ?

The clutch I posted is identical to a chain clutch, but has a pulley instead of a sprocket. Engagement is adjusted with spring swaps.
Engagement is smoother and it is quieter than chain. Uses belts from auto parts stores.

Augiedoggie

I remember when we were kids, vertical shaft engines were plentiful and horizontal shaft motors were not as common. My brothers friend used vertical shaft motor and twisted drive belt to allow vertical engine to horizontal drive on wheel. Wish I had pictures only for a laugh. We were crude at best. I don't remember seeing it run but I did see it. I can't critique his build without sharing that my own home built used a wooden engine mounting plate fastened to frame rails with heavy baling wire:rolleyes:

You probably remember the old Peerless F-N-R riding mower transmissions. Big pulley on bottom for vertical shaft engine and a tiny sprocket on the side. We never got a sprocket off, but we did put some pretty small pulleys on them. I found a three speed one and put it on a Boonie Bike frame with a big cast iron Briggs vertical riding mower engine. I remember having a Hell of a time getting that 1 inch PTO hole in the engine plate.
We rode that bike for a couple of years, never changed the belt. Sometimes we had 3 kids on it, going across muddy, plowed fields to get to the woods where we had trails. Yeah, the belt got muddy, wet, slipped and came off a lot, but we loved it.

A timing belt because it is a belt refer to the teeth on the hub as a pulley. Do a search for HTD clutch in 5mm and 8 mm. A sprocket drive is +/- .007 while a belt drive system is +/- .0005 much tighter tolerances so not that many people with old equipment can hold the tolerances which will quickly shorten the belt life. Belt drives are set tight while a chain runs loose to compensate for the slop and wear of the sprockets. The clutches have been around for a LONG time. A good cover guard is needed to keep the crap out of the belt cogs. Hope this helps out. Those pictures are of the drive system I changed on a Phatmoto bike.

Attachments

A timing belt because it is a belt refer to the teeth on the hub as a pulley. Do a search for HTD clutch in 5mm and 8 mm. A sprocket drive is +/- .007 while a belt drive system is +/- .0005 much tighter tolerances so not that many people with old equipment can hold the tolerances which will quickly shorten the belt life. Belt drives are set tight while a chain runs loose to compensate for the slop and wear of the sprockets. The clutches have been around for a LONG time. A good cover guard is needed to keep the crap out of the belt cogs. Hope this helps out. Those pictures are of the drive system I changed on a Phatmoto bike.
I like it thats cool

Not a conversion but some companies used to use belt drive. This Cycle Scoot is from 53/54 and I'm fairly certain it's belt drive is all original. It will continue to be belt drive when I actually get to making it a rider. With the large rear pully it's probably not going to be a speed demon but should pull fairly well. View attachment 312044 View attachment 312045
That's a crazy looking mini bike it's cool v belt old school

I tried to post some pictures it wouldn't let me and the replies I posted didn't show up trying to figure it out

I remember when we were kids, vertical shaft engines were plentiful and horizontal shaft motors were not as common. My brothers friend used vertical shaft motor and twisted drive belt to allow vertical engine to horizontal drive on wheel. Wish I had pictures only for a laugh. We were crude at best. I don't remember seeing it run but I did see it. I can't critique his build without sharing that my own home built used a wooden engine mounting plate fastened to frame rails with heavy baling wire:rolleyes:
One of the kids on my street dad did that to a go kart was crazy looking the same friends dad took a Yamaha 100 Enduro and put mini bike wheels on it was low so kids could ride it was a two stroke was still fast

Last edited: