Belt Drive??

Hey guys, haven't been on the forum in a while but still riding my two minis everyday. its getting to that point where I need to buy a new clutch for one and a new chain for both. I've been thinking about changing my newest bike to a belt drive system.
Anyone have an opinion they wouldn't mind sharing. I have yet to use a belt drive minibike and have heard bad and good things about it. just curious about what other mini bike owners thought.

I guess I could have said what bike I've got. haha. Its a Arco E-Z-Rider. I built it from the frame up. found forks and handle bars online. the problem I had when building this bike was with the back drive sprocket. the sprocket is welded to the back tire wheel assembly so it is unremovable. The teeth on the original sprocket were too worn down to use so I bolted on a bigger sprocket to it. it works great but the chain is at the length to were if you take a link out its to sort but I cant move the engine to tighten it. the chain rattles on the frame making a god awful sound. the clutch is just about shot so I figured I might try making it a belt drive, it wouldn't be hard sense I already have the bolt holes on the sprocket.
I've heard things like once the belt get wet its useless and that it will slip easily. Just wondered what people who have a belt drive think.
I believe there are pictures of both my bikes on my profile. its the green bike I want to make a belt drive.

Last edited:
you could add a chain tensioner and another cen clutch. might be the cheapest/less fab way to go. looks like chain is hitting motor plate. you could notch it.
you need measurements to figure if the TAV will even fit. some have to add a jack shaft to align sprockets and swap sprocket sides.

Thanks guys, I like the chain tensioner idea. I'm not sure where to get one, I've found a few online but it looks like they are for bicycles any one know where to get a good minibike one?
As for cutting the engine plate, it looks to me like there are four small welds holding that plate on, im concerned if I cut a part out it will bend or crack the plate. I thought about cutting a hockey puck in half like a half moon. splitting it half way and sliding it on the plate for the chain to rub against. figured it would be quieter than chain on metal.

belt drive does work. my brother did it on a 10hp bike and it worked great. but he did it to the jack shaft then got the proper gear ratio by chain from the jackshaft to the back wheel. Thats the problem i see with your bike. to get a proper 6:1 ratio you need a huge pulley on the back wheel so it just doesnt work the same as a chain would.