Benefits going from an 8hp to 11hp tecumseh??

Hello and nice website. My large minibike currently has an 8hp Tecumseh snow king flathead. It runs good but could use some new rings. Well my tax return is more than I planned so I am thinking of buying a new Tecumseh 11hp. Since the max rpm is 3600 on these type of engines what type of improvements will I see? I currently run a comet TAV 2 system and its rated for 8hp max. What are the repercussions of running it on an 11hp engine? My current 8hp has all the internal and external governing components removed as well as a brand new Mikuni 26mm carb-which I would put on the 11 horse motor. Small engine warehouse has snow king 11hp Tecumehs with a 3/4" keyed shaft for $325. Thanks

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So your old motor is a flathead, and the new one is going to be a bigger motor. Plus it's going to be a OHV motor too?

If so you will need to change your driven gear on your TAV 2. Only because you will have a lot more bottm end torque. You might have to go up two teeth. Ungovern the motor is going to turn more then 3,600 plus with that aftermarket carb on it.

Actually I was looking at a NON ohv engine. My current 8 hp runs good and new rings are cheap but with the unexpected extra cash from my tax return the thought of a NEW AND BIGGER engine is what dreams are made of. I was thinking Id just throw on my TAV2 even though its not rated for 11hp.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
They can actually handle more then the factory 8hp rating. I hae seen them mounted onto alky briggs world formula motors making about 16hp.

Cushman used to design components to have a total failure capacity that was 500% of the components intended rating. The part would be designed to function flawlessly during normal operation, and keep functioning with less reliability as stress increased from factory specs, until total failure at five times the load was reached.

Cushman knew buyers would modify it's products, and over-engineered the components to compensate for this...I'm sure Comet does the same thing for it's products. The 8hp rating for the TAV 2 is probably for 100% reliability...with performance decreasing as horsepower increases, but I imagine total failure capacity is well above 11hp.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yeah I currently have a Salsbury 340 setup on a 20hp 5hp flathead motor. This TC clutch is also rated at 8hp. But they are much stronger then the regular TAV setup.

Once I'm finish with the wheelie bars I will take some pictures.