best brand chain?

Doc1976

I am having trouble with smooth chain operation and I think its due to cheap ass chain. what brand chain do y'all use on your bikes? BTW, I'm looking for #35.

+4
It's a little wider chain, and it doesn't stretch a bunch with hard use on pavement.
Also, because it is wider the master links are proprietary to RLV. You will not be able to drive to your local Ace Hardware and pick one up should you suddenly have the need for one. Good idea to purchase an extra one when you buy the chain. Just a head's up...
Michael

Doc1976

well thanks for the replies, Its not too often that a question gets one unanimous answer. Gold on gold it is, hopefully it will solve my issues.

Doc1976

just my luck the sell the chain in 120 link lengths and I need 122 links. So I have to spend $70 to get the 100' chain! man they are sure proud of their products

Doc1976

i'm going to try the gold and black, has to be better than the crap on there now. It should at least tell me if the chain was the problem. I verified that the sprocket was concentric with the wheel, and that it didn't have any run out. I may need to consider a tensioner as well

Daniel Coop

I buy it 10' at a time. You get enough to do 2 bikes and have some to spare or a perfect amount if 1 of them has a jackshaft. You also get 6 master links, so you'll have spares if you lose one. I guarantee this won't be your last mini... 1 is never enough and variety is the spice of life!
I don't believe there's​ any major difference between gold on black and gold on gold chains. And although I prefer to only run 1 master link per chain, I have pieced one or two chains together before with no issue.

Last edited:

Doc1976

While I wait for the chain to arrive, I decided to go out and just double check to ensure that the rear sprocket was concentric with the wheel. I measured it being non-concentric by no more than .007". I don't feel this is enough to be causing problems, although I wish it was exact. Would most of you guy's find .007" to be an acceptable amount?

Doc1976

just wanted to thank everyone for their help. the new chain seems to have done the trick although I've tested it minimally so far.