Best Engine for Under $700.00

New to this form and the "Briggs Engines."
Have been reading many of the mods available for these engines.
Was wondering if I had say around $700.00 to spend what / who would one recommend as a good solid racing type engine.
I'm building a drag mini-bike which will mainly see 125 ft blasts and that's about it.

"Thanks" and "Great Site" :thumbsup:

Depending on your resources you can build your own for less. What are your expectations?
Well...as with anything competitive I want to be competitive. But, being realistic just looking for something that is fun, has good power and will stay up with the pack! I've drag raced cars since the 70's and know it's how much do you want to spend but, not going for broke here, just consistency and fun! :thumbsup:

Really, a genuine Honda GX200 would likely be a good motor. They are solid right out of the box, but if you desire more power there is a large amount of aftermarket parts for them to make them as fast as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, a genuine Honda GX200 would likely be a good motor. They are solid right out of the box, but if you desire more power there is a large amount of aftermarket parts for them to make them as fast as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I do have one of those 'Harbor Freight" clone engines I purchased awhile back when they had them on sale for $99.00, would that make a good engine?

Last edited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I do have one of those 'Harbor Freight" clone engines I purchased awhile back when they had them on sale for $99.00, would that make a good engine?

With a bunch of aftermarket goodies, most definitely. Some guys are pushing retarded HP numbers out of such a small engine.

joshua. c.

preditors and clones are cheep for a reason: loose tolerances and poor quality. a briggs animal is a better starting choice, its built to be a high quality race engine and you can get them for around 400$ on ebay. that leaves you 300$ for mods. the internals are made so they can turn 8000rpms safly right out of the box but the engine will need mods to get there. you can also build an stock used inteck 6.5 with animal parts for more power for alot less but it wont be as strong as an animal.

125 feet of race track. I don't think a high rev motor is going to do much for you, since currently there are not a lot of clutch options for building revs at the line.

Most of the folks are running eighths, and reaching full revs well after the 125' mark.

Maybe a flathead torque monster, as much displacement as you can wedge into the frame, with clutch engagement just before the torque. Geared to suit.

How much frame are you working with?

125 feet of race track. I don't think a high rev motor is going to do much for you, since currently there are not a lot of clutch options for building revs at the line.

Most of the folks are running eighths, and reaching full revs well after the 125' mark.

Maybe a flathead torque monster, as much displacement as you can wedge into the frame, with clutch engagement just before the torque. Geared to suit.

How much frame are you working with?
Here is a pic. of the mini I'm working with and a pic. of the engine I'll probably be using for now anyway. It's a Briggs I picked up at a garage sale last summer for $20.00. It's a bit dirty and the carb needs rebuilt but, runs good! I agree with the torque topic as that is what gets it all going!

Here is a pic. of the mini I'm working with and a pic. of the engine I'll probably be using for now anyway. It's a Briggs I picked up at a garage sale last summer for $20.00. It's a bit dirty and the carb needs rebuilt but, runs good! I agree with the torque topic as that is what gets it all going!
For half of your $700 budget, you can do a lot to that engine. PM, or search member here 125ccCrazy for some tricks and tips on that one. I'm running one of his modified flathead 5's for the past year plus, and I am very happy with it.

joshua. c.

is that a 4hp or a 5hp? they both look the same from the outside and i dont see any markings on that one. a 4 will need to be converted to a 5 before further modification.
he is right about the briggs 5hp. they can make crazy power for cheep mony. i have about half of that budget into mine and its scarry. a briggs 5hp dose not have as many CC's as the bigger engines (thats why i didn't recomend it) and yours might be an aluminum boar but since the engine only cost 20 $ and you have a 700$ budget it won't realy matter.

is that a 4hp or a 5hp? they both look the same from the outside and i dont see any markings on that one. a 4 will need to be converted to a 5 before further modification.
he is right about the briggs 5hp. they can make crazy power for cheep mony. i have about half of that budget into mine and its scarry. a briggs 5hp dose not have as many CC's as the bigger engines (thats why i didn't recomend it) and yours might be an aluminum boar but since the engine only cost 20 $ and you have a 700$ budget it won't realy matter.
It's a 5 hp with a steel bore, older model.